1993 Altima -- leaky sunroof

When it rains hard enough it leaks, so I assume the rubber seal is either torn or worn or becoming brittle with age. Short of taking it to the local dealer, which would probably be expensive (or maybe not -- let me know!), are there any fixes I can do? I thought about lining the inside of the sunroof with a bead of silicone and letting it dry, which would create a tighter seal. Dumb? Any suggestions?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Hanson

You should be able to replace the rubber seal yourself. It's not cheap, but less than paying the dealer to do it!

Reply to
Larry Kessler

Most (all?) factory sunroofs use gutters and drain tubes for water control. The "seal" around the glass is for air and some water but isn't suposed to be waterproof, just to deflect the worst of it. I'm betting the drain tubes are clogged? There are ussually 4, one in each corner of the sunroof drain pan/gutter. You should be able to pour water from a cup into the gutter and see water drain from the bottom of the front/rear fender area.

Reply to
Steve

Even I have the same problem with my 1993 Altima.. Particularly when the car is put in automatic wash or kept in torrential rain..

The water leaks through and accumulates (not in large amounts) in the reading light.. Drips..

Any idea how much the seal costs?

Praveen

Reply to
Praveen

Yup -- my problem exactly. It's only been happening for a few months now.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Hanson

Did any of y'all read what Steve wrote ???

If not I suggest you do,

Because he hit the nail right on the head !!!

Reply to
NissTech

All right, cool, I'll try that one. It makes sense. So what whould I do if they *are* clogged...?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Hanson

Find the lower end of the hose and blow air through them. Sometimes you can see the upper end and fish a coat hanger/wire into it to clear the clog. Doesn't take much to stop them up and is a common problem. Replacing the seal isn't going to fix it.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks -- I'll give it a try. Er, when it stops snowing.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Hanson