1995 200SX AC/Cruise Control/Idle Problems

Where will I be the next time I can't keep my 200 started?

Probably a lot of dumb questions here, but I fix people, not cars for a living.

I just bought this car a year ago, had it checked by 2 mechanics, everything was ok, but needed a new oxygen sensor - the MIL light was on which is why I knew about it. Everything worked, ran fine, even the cruise control and ac were working. However, at the time, I couldn't get the O2 sensor replaced for less then $200. For a student, that's 3 months of food. The car still ran...until now.

I have continued with other minor repairs, and regular maintenance, but have not been able to afford a major repair. First the cruise control stopped working (light comes on the dash switch, but control set doesn't maintain the engine speed) and then the AC would drop the RPM's to the point of killing the engine. Simple answer right then: don't use either feature.

Now, 10 months later, I am living in Humidity-heat Hell of New Orleans, and not only do I need to get the AC working again, but the car will not stay started. Turns over, and then kills unless my foot is on the accelerator. I have a 5-speed, it's difficult to drive with one foot on both the gas and brake, not to mention bad for all invloved (including my coordination). Tonight I replaced the O2 sensor. At first, the car was running great, and even the AC was working again with no problem. But after 20 mins of driving, the car is now starting to slip back to the not staying started problem, and the AC problem is still there and MIL light is still on. Do I need to have the idle adjusted/tune-up done? Wait it out - if so how long? Will the MIL light go off by itself (assuming there are no other problems)?

Can I diagnose/fix this myself (there really is not another option)? Basically I have 4 days to fix this before I am back in school, and I need the transportation to/from school and work. So two bad things against me: no money and little time :-(

Jacqueline

Reply to
Jacq

Bad combination.

Reply to
Steve T

How much? Sorry this is too late for you but...should have been closer to half that.

"690-B1314&Category_Code>I have continued with other minor repairs, and regular maintenance, but>have not been able to afford a major repair. First the cruise control>stopped working (light comes on the dash switch, but control set doesn't>maintain the engine speed) and then the AC would drop the RPM's to the>point of killing the engine. Simple answer right then: don't use either >feature. >

Takes 50 starts after the fault is removed to clear a set code. Or you reset it using these instructions

After extraction of the ECU from it's hiding place, read the code(s) first. 96 200SX instructions are well down the page, codes are at very bottom of page. If the fault is still there the code and mil light will come back on straight away. (careful with the top nut on the ECU it's a slippery hole seeking beast)

Sounds like you need to strip the idle air system and the throttle plate, clean with carb cleaner and kitchen towel. Make sure the FICD works, it is a valve that opens to allow more air into the engine to compensate for the A/C load. The FICD is a 19mm hexagonal solenoid about 2 inches long attached to the inlet plenum somewhere. Unplug it while the engine running and air con is on, you should hear it click shut and the revs will drop, plug it back in and you should hear it snap open and the revs rise.

faq's and other help like forums. Get a workshop manual for it and start learning.
is your friend, learn to use it and seek out the info you need.

Peter Hill

Thanks, this is very helpful. I got the manual today, and I was up a long time last night learning about my car on the internet.

Good news is the car is staying started today, but idling very low (400-500 rpms). I can turn on the ac without it killing, but it does eventually kill.

I will try your suggestion tonight with my mechanic-cousin. Family is good to have.

Jacq

Reply to
Jacq