92 Nissan Sentra Rear Drum Removal

What started out a small job turned into a big one. I had to replace the rear rubber brake hose and unfortunatly cross-threaded the drum cylinder durring reassembly (Even when though I was super carefull). So off to the parts store I went for a replacement! Problem is...I can't get the damn drum off. I've backed off the pads and pounded it with a hammer to shake it loose...it just won't budge...it's rusted on there real good. Anyone have any advise? Am I missing something here? The shop manual just says to back off the pads and tap it with a hammer and it should come loose.

Thanks

Marc Savage

Reply to
Marc Savage

I don't know about the 92 Sentra, but on later Nissans, there are two threaded holes in the drum near the center. Screw in an 8 x 1.25 MM bolt in each. It will pry off the drum.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

I shoulda wrote... "If the threaded holes are there, screw in an 8 x 1.25 MM...... "

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

My 91 Mazda B2200 drums were like you described but unfortunatly this

92 Sentra dosn't have those holes. Anyone else have experience with these specific drums?

Marc Savage snipped-for-privacy@montrealpreludeclub.com

Reply to
Marc Savage

back off the self adjuster completely, then try removing the drum again. more than likely there's a lip inside the drum which is causing you problems (getting caught on the brake shoes).

Reply to
: p

It is stuck to the hub (doesn't move at all) or won't come off (moves just a little bit). If it's stuck to the hub, hit the drum in the area between the lug studs towards the hub. Sometimes you have to smack it pretty hard alternating from side to side to get it to break loose. If you hit anywhere else, you risk breaking the drum.

Reply to
Steve T

I am not a mechanic (that's obvious). I had the same problem with a '78 Chrysler LeBaron. In desperation, I loosened the lug nuts and drove over some curbs and things (at low speeds) until it broke loose.

Results are guaranteed, but may not be the results you want!!!

I think I saw drum brake pullers listed in J.C. Whitney catalog or similar.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Madsen

Because of the way the brake shoes are attached to the backing plate with those spring loaded retainers, there is some side to side slack in the brake shoes. If the drum had a ridge worn in the outer edge of the braking surface, or even if the parking brake was still set, there would be a slight rocking movement of the drum as it was being yanked on. The OP said it wouldn't budge, therefore the suggestion that it was rusted to the axle bolt plate is probably right.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Reply to
tomcas

Problem is I have no brakes right now as I am in the middle of replacing the rear drum cylinder.

Reply to
Marc Savage