heat shields on 1984 Stanza

To fix up my exhaust system I may have to remove the heat shields on the downtube and the catalytic converter. Some or all the screws on the downtube are frozen, so I should plan to wring them off, drill, tap, and replace them. What kind of screw should I have on hand for this?

Reply to
E Z Peaces

A nut and bolt is probably best since it will be possible to use wrenches to undo things in the future. Of course, that presupposes you can get a nut and bolt in there. Whatever you use, put lots of anti- seize compound on all threads. In the future it's a good idea to turn the screws, nuts, bolts a little bit whenever you happen to be under the car and re-apply anti-seize compound as needed. The extreme heat of the cat will tend to boil off the anti-seize compound after a while. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

See if your local hardware store has stainless steel nuts and bolts.

Good luck!

al wrote:

Reply to
AS

Thanks to you and Al. I've been pondering it. If I used nuts and bolts, I'd need two wrenches. I wonder if that could prevent my tightening or removing them with the exhaust system mounted.

The idea of dropping the whole system appeals to me. It intimidates me because the three nuts holding the front pipe to the header look hard to get to, and I can't tell how corroded they may be. Dropping the system from the flexible tube back sure helped for patching the back pipe.

Reply to
E Z Peaces