steam from bonnet

Hi have had my little nissan micra few years now but today noticed what looked like Steam coming from the bonnet i opened the engine and it appeared not to come from there, i did panic as last time i saw "white smoke" it turned out my head gasket had gone and pipe had split , but this time came only from top of bonnet , have asked friends and there cars dont do it does anyone else have this problem??

thank you

kath

Reply to
kath

Was it a cold Morn? Do you have a bonnet blanket? That is the black insulating cover that goes on the underside(motor side) of the bonnet(hood). Steam will rise if no insulator is on. And it does no harm.. No Worries.

Reply to
ZTech

Hi thank you so much for answering, no it was afternoon actually but it was cold and it was raining heavily! it did scare me a bit do you know if i could get a "bonnet blanket" fitted?

thnaks again

Kath

Reply to
kath

You can get it at the dealer, but I doubt you will want to pay the price they ask.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Now that you know what it is, it shouldn't scare you anymore. Learn the difference between steam and smoke. Steam dissipates within a few feet of the source. Smoke continues for tens of feet or more, depending upon the wind, until it spreads out and becomes less opaque. Don't waste your money on a 'blanket'. Other than allaying your now-disspelled fears, it serves no useful purpose. In the old days, I ripped them out after they became unhitched and hung down on the engine, requiring that I hold them up whenever I opened the hood (bonnet)

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg