troubleshooting ECU SRS airbag code 20FF00

Hi folks. I have a blinking airbag light on my 93 altima. I've done the "press the driver door switch 5 times within 7 seconds" to get into diagnosis mode, and I don't any problem codes being displayed. I'm getting the nice smooth 3 seconds on, 2 seconds off, which my manual says this : "not malfunctioning or intermittent repair/ completion"... Maybe I'm not doing the procedure right and somehow it's not getting back into user mode? (wishful thinking? lol)

Anyway, I did pull a code with my consult board I bought from ebay.

code 20FF00

clear codes - did not work.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on here?

Thanks in advance. Vette

Reply to
willydog

Maybe you're not getting into the diagnostic mode? How did you deduce you made it into that mode?

Telstar Electronics

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Based on my reading of my $6 adobe PDF "service manual" I bought on ebay, I followed the procedure to get into diagnostic mode. However - your point is valid. I did not see any change in behavior in what I perceived to be diagnostic mode versus that of user mode. I get the steady 3 sec on/ 2 sec off, no matter how many times I try the DSS trick to toggle between the two modes.

Would the airbag light flash this way if I were in user mode? Or rather, does it stay solid when a fault is detected?

The 20FF00 fault code wouldn't clear with the eperformance guys consult software, so either the software doesn't handle that too well, or the code can't be cleared because a legitimate fault exists in the system.

Reply to
willydog

I haven't done your courtesy light switch trick in quite a while... and I kind of forget how the diagnostic mode goes. But my opinion is that there would have to be a distinct difference in the cadence of the airbag light for one to know that he had reached the diag mode. I'll have to check into this a bit more.

Telstar Electronics

Hi folks. Somebody out there must have a 93/94 shop manual. Can anybody look up this code? Thanks.

Reply to
willydog

I spoke with the guy at ecutalk, and he gave me a few ideas. One is that this 20FF00 could be the "all good" code for the SRS system, like for example with consult code 55 means all good.

So I'm still seemingly stuck in diagnostic mode with the 3 sec. on, 2 sec. off. I have tried all sorts of permutations of the driver side switch reset, and nothing is getting me back to user mode. I have never received any kind of flash codes either. What I don't know if this is a symptom of the diagnostic sensor unit being flaky, some other flakiness, or if there is still some hope to the situation of getting back to a working user mode. If the diagnostic sensor unit was shot, in theory I should get some flash codes, but I'm not.

I'm thinking about buying a diagnostic sensor unit (aka airbag control unit) and putting it in, as if any part is bad, my guess is this one. I can get one of them for $85 brand new, OEM off the net, but I don't want to waste the $85 if it doesn't need it.

I have the service manual with the procedure, so I should be all set there. Just don't want to waste the money, if it doesn't need it. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
willydog