Warm engine, cold heater

This should be an easy one.

My 1993 Sentra XE has fewer than 50,000 original miles. Lately the temp indicator in the dash either registers very low or doesn't budge at all.

With the engine warm and the heater full on, the vent air is only slightly warm. Does that mean the engine thermostat isn't opening? Or stuck open?

Central Gulf coast area. (i.e. mild temps)

Reply to
DemoDisk

These are typical symptoms of the thermostat being stuck open. Run the engine with the car stationary, and the engine should reach operating temperature. If the thermostat has failed open, the engine (and heater) temperature will drop too low again within a couple of minutes of moving off at normal speeds.

I expect your fuel consumption is higher than normal too.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

You listed the exact symptoms my '92 SE-R exhibited. A new thermostat cured all that.

Reply to
LouieG

Thanks, John, very much for posting.

Yeah, I gave the car a warm-up run today and the temperature behaved just the way you said it would.

Concerning the fuel mileage, well...it's been bad for so long I didn't even notice. Let's see how it does after a new thermostat.

JPM

Reply to
DemoDisk