emissions problem

Hi --

I live in Massachusetts and my 97 Nissan Altima failed the state emissions test -- the check engine light was on (had been for 1.5 years without any problems) -- I went to a state-registered auto shop. They performed the OBD -- that gave 2 codes. One for a knock sensor and the 2nd for a crankshaft position sensor. They replaced both sensors. When they did the repair, the electrical system had to be reset. I had driven the car over 200 miles and still one system needed to be initiated. At that time, a new code appeared, again indicating that the knock sensor was a problem. I drove the car another 200 miles and I have taken it back to the auto shop and the electical system is still not "Ready." By the way, the check engine light has not come back on.

  1. Is there anything I can do to get the car "Ready"?
  2. Is there something else wrong with my car?

Please help! Thanks.

Reply to
frustrated

"frustrated" wrote: > Hi -- > > I live in Massachusetts and my 97 Nissan Altima failed the > state emissions test -- the check engine light was on (had > been for 1.5 years without any problems) -- I went to a > state-registered auto shop. They performed the OBD -- that > gave 2 codes. One for a knock sensor and the 2nd for a > crankshaft position sensor. They replaced both sensors. When > they did the repair, the electrical system had to be reset. I > had driven the car over 200 miles and still one system needed > to be initiated. At that time, a new code appeared, again > indicating that the knock sensor was a problem. I drove the > car another 200 miles and I have taken it back to the auto > shop and the electical system is still not "Ready." By the > way, the check engine light has not come back on. > > 1. Is there anything I can do to get the car "Ready"? > 2. Is there something else wrong with my car? > > Please help! Thanks.

I?d love to know your solution. I have the same 97 Altima and it just failed the state inspection. The code I got is P0325 - Knock sensor.

From what i learned on the net, replacing the knock sensor doesn?t necessarily solve the problem. In addition, the knock sensor has NOTHING to do with emission on Altima?s.

Reply to
canoner