2000 GLE SES codes

Is it possible to read the codes from the computer of my 2000 GLE without a scanner? I have been to the website

The computer in my car is slightlydifferent from the one pictured and does not have the screw referredto that allows the SES light to flash the codes. Is there another way?Thanks, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

No. Unless you're in California, pay a visit to your local AutoZone and they'll pull the codes free of charge.

Reply to
Dan

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:53:01 -0500, Dan wrote: Autozone pulled the codes. Thanks for the idea. The codes were both P1320. In looking back through the messages, if it is accompanied by a P0303, it is a bad ignition coil on cylinder 3. I only had the one code. I assume I have a bad coil, but don't know which one. The 2k has a history of bad coils. When the coil goes does it stay bad or can the problem be intermittent. I just want to know if I check all the coils will the bad one show up, or could it be okay now. The other question is how to clear the codes if I find the correct coil and replace it. Autozone said they weren't allowed to clear the codes. Thanks for the help, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Unfortunately it can be intermitent, but it will get progressively worse. You can reset the light by removing your negative battery cable for a few hours. Maybe the next time you'll get lucky and a code indicating which coil is going bad will be set. Or you can just bite the bullet and replace all six.

Reply to
Dan

snip

Wrong, disconnecting the battery will not erase codes

Reply to
NissTech

Yes, it does reset the light. Try and and see. Of course the light well come back on if another code is thrown.

Reply to
Dan