222 hp versus 255 hp

Between the '00-'01 Maxima's 222hp engine and the '02's 255hp engine, how much of a difference does that extra 33hp really make with all other factors being equal? How much can you really feel it in day-to-day driving?

If I could get my hands on a 2000 Maxima SE for a lot cheaper than a

2002 SE, is there a monumental reason why I shouldn't heavily consider the 2000 SE (assuming that the overall condition of the two cars in question are similar)?

Thanks.

Reply to
Darren

Ummmmmm . . . . .WAY!:) The 255 hp motor was Nissan's recognition that the 5th gen body was a bit too big for a 3.0 to push around with authority. A 5th gen 3.0 with 17" rims can't even keep up with a 4th gen with 16s. Also, the power was up 02-03s, but so was the TQ, and that's what really made the difference. I don't mean to knock the 2000 and

2001s, it was just a bit of a power to body mis-match. Anyhow, Nissan makes the best V6 engines and so far, the 3.0 in the 2000 and 2001s is probably still the best ever of all of them, but the VQ35 is maturing, so it may knock it down sometime in the near future.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Check out the 0-60 times for all the cars, too. My 4th gen 5-sp supposedly hits 60 in 7.0 seconds and the new ones haven't surpassed that spec to my knowledge. Bigger engines, yes, but bigger cars, and overall they are the same or slower in acceleration.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Looks like the Accord V6 is the way to go for performance.

Reply to
twaugh5

What do the cars weight, what are the gear rations and tire diameters? That will tell the story. If the later car has 30 more HP but weighs 400 lbs more it's not going to be faster. Also where is the power being made? You can have 30 more HP at 7000RPM but have 50 less ft/lbs of torque at 2500 RPM so the higher HP car feel sluggy in normal driving, unless you drive at

4500-7000rpm all the time! :-)
Reply to
Steve T

My mom just bought an 03. It really is fast, and I didn't even get to test a 5 speed. It might be able to pound my Max.

Reply to
David Geesaman

The manual transmission 02-03 maxima is the fastest maxima ever produced. Bone stock, it will easily surpass any 95-01 maxima, even modified with bolt-ons.

The difference will be easily discernable.

Reply to
CW

Yes, my '04 Accord EX V6 only has 450 miles on it, and it is very fast. It would easily beat my '96 I30t (which is 150+ lbs lighter) to

60 mph. (Car & Driver says 7.0 to 60 for the V6 Accord; 8.2 seconds for the I30t.)

However, the Accord is still a 3 liter, and low end torque is lacking. So a 3.5 L Maxima/Altima has a big edge off the line, and I think has a wider torque band as well.

Also, the idle on the Accord is not as smooth as my 3.0 liter I30t, even though the VTEC system is supposedly optimized for smoothness in the Accord rather than power.

The Accord is fast, it's practical, it's dependable, it's (hurray!) regular gas... but I'd still rank the 3.0 Nissan engine as "better" in many respects, and the 3.5 is awesome.

Since the nearest Infiniti dealer is too far away from me, and the Nissan dealer had funny ideas about purchase negotiations, I got the Honda. Good service on my wife's Honda SUV for 5 years cinched the deal.

JM

Reply to
JM

Supposedly under 6.0 for the 6 spd coupe. My 01 Prelude is still a player though at just under 7.0. Not bad for a 200 hp I4.

Reply to
twaugh5

Well, I don't mean to put you honda guys down, but the 3.0 Maxima, in

5-speed trim from way back in 1995, competes very well with the 2001 Prelude and the 2004 Accord. Not bad for a 9 year old motor/design. And the Nissan 3.5, that's another ballgame entirely.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Not so sure about that. I had a 92 and 93 SE (DOHC) 3.0 and both 5 spds. Preludes would devastate them and are far more reliable. The 93 never ran right and the dealer could never figure out why. Both sucumbed to the VTC problem and various other ailments starting around 37,000 miles. The 95 engine was an improvement but the performance was reported not any better than the older 3.0. Dealer service was only just fair with our local dealership changing hands seveal times. I was an old Datsun fan dating back to the 280X and 810 but was disappointed with the later models in the 90s. Today, Nissan under the overview of Renault has appeared to improve its product line.

Reply to
TWW

I can't agree with that last statement. 95 was the beginning of the 4th generation, which is noticeably quicker than the 3rd gens.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Well, I'm sure. The 92-94 SE was a 190 HP DOHC variable timing and variable intake manifold iron block design. The 95 VQ that repalced it produced the same 190 HP without the use of variable timing OR a varaible intake manifold. AND, the block was made of aluminum, making the bigger, roomier 95 actually weigh 100 lbs less than the 94 SE that it replaced. Performance was comparable with the 95 being just a wee bit faster, but the VQ was a hands down winner for reliability.

Now, as I mentioned before, the 95 maxima 3.0 V6 compares very well with the newer designs from Honda. Comparing to a 2001 Honda prelude, the

5-speed Maxima will take it off the line, but the Prelude will catch it and leave it behind on the highway. Honda's tend to be a bit TQ poor in the city and then do a jekyll N Hide tranformation on the highway. VTEC and the open road, a match made in heaven:) When Nissan Gave the VQ30 and variable intake in the 2000 maximas, the car's acceleration became more consistent, but the body wieghed too much, hence the upgrade to a VQ3.5.

A little tidbit worth noting, Nissan actually made a variable intake manifold for the 95-99 Maxima, but it never made it to US production. If you look at a JDM & middle eastern maxima 3.0 , and others, you'll see it. Or go to Maxima.org and look up threads on the MEVI. Enthusiasts have put them on their caqrs and experience much improved highway performance.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Ummm... thanks for agreeing with me. I already said that Nissan's

1996 3.0 engine in my I30t (same engine as '95 3.0 Maxima) is "better" in many respects than the 2004 Honda V6. I still put 60 miles a day on my I30t to & from work. And I'd have a G35 now except 18 mpg with premium gas, and a thin dealer network kept me from it.

JM

Reply to
JM

Well, you did say that Accord beats the I30t. I just wanted to level the paying field a bit by comparing a 5 speed to a 5 speed:) The I30 is hampered a bit by its 4-speed auto.

CD

Reply to
codifus

If you could enlighten an ignoramus like me, I'd appreciate it: What does a variable intake manifold do for an engine's performance versus a static (?) intake manifold?

BTW: The son of one of my friends just bought an '01 Prelude. Nice car. I just told him yesterday, that he had nothing to prove and that he should never get any Japanese "powered by" stickers or 20" muffler tips. :)

Reply to
filesiteguy

Check this link out;

CD

Reply to
codifus

True. Light on torque and lags when you are down on revs. But, when the VTEC cuts in at 5400 it screams all the way to redline at 7400. You have to keep the Prelude on the boil to make it run. The older Max 3.0 seemed to run out of breath (at least mine did) at around 5000 and it was useless to slog past that rpm to redline. The old 280Zs were like that too.

Reply to
twaugh5

Very nice link, thanks!

Now for the next question (which I'll find out): Where to get one of these for my '98 and how much wil it cost.

I'll post information if I find any. Seems like a trip to maxima.org is in order.

filesiteguy

True, and I always thought the I35/new Maxima should have a 5-speed auto too. Nissan can build a bigger engine cheaper than a complicated, 5-speed auto. That's their choice, but it leaves the owner with a bit less performance and 5-6% lower gas mileage too.

JM

Reply to
JM