98 nissan maxima dead battery

I have 98 nissan maxima that runs great... Only issue is the battery dies out if I dont use the car for a week (i do turn off all the lights) and requires a jump start....

Is this an issue with all maximas what could be causing this? is the security system draining the battery? can i disable the security system ? how?

Reply to
vmo

When the car is running, measure the voltage across the battery. You should get around 14 VDC. If so, your battery needs to be replaced.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Here's a problem & solution I had a couple of years back, should help you.

93 GXE 140k miles

Had nearly 30 days of continuous below-freezing weather where I am, Washington DC suburb. Drove one to local mall a few miles away. Came out after about two hours, battery is completely flat, will not turn engine over. I figured it was the cold weather, many cold starts, heater running constantly, often using headlights, short, start/stop runs.

Called my wife, she brought her car with jumper leads, started OK. Drove the car home and put the battery (only 18 months old) on the charger overnight. Reconnected it next morning, car starts and runs fine. Assumed the problem was solved. Next day I get a call from my wife, Maxima has flat battery outside local library.

Same procedure, jump start then drive home. Took the battery out and put it back on the charger. Left the car till the weekend for further examination.

On the weekend, looked up my Haynes manual. Started doing their charging system checks.

1) All fuses inside car OK 2) All relays under hood OK] 3) Battery open voltage OK 4) Put an ammeter in circuit with the battery (disconnect negative battery terminal and insert ammeter) Found that with the IGNITION OFF there was a 100 milliamp current drain. Haynes says the maximum current drain (considering, clock, radio presets, engine control computer, etc) should be 50 milliamps.

With the ammeter still in circuit I started pulling connectors off the positive battery terminal. As soon as I removed the fuseable link which connects to the alternator main terminal, the current drain dropped to zero.

Remembered Nissan Tech and possibly others had previously mentioned the alternator diodes go bad after time, so I figured I had found the problem.

Bought a new alternator my local Nissan dealer $368.00. Replaced the alternater, recharged the battery. Problem solved.

From a recent post to this newsgroup it appears that you can in fact repair the alternator, but I have I can't find the article, it was on cardomain.com I believe.

Also you can buy used genuine Nissan alternators on Ebay for $100, that's the route I would take now.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

==== How old is the battery? I have not had this problem with my 98 Maxima. Myself I would just remove the battery cable from on pole it just takes a

10mm wrench.

Reply to
KybonaBygona

I have had 4 new batteries in the past 2 years. Many batteries are coming out of China these days and quality is poor.

Battery # 1 went dead at a gas station right after fill-up. Called CAA, they came, they tested the charging system and battery and sold and installed a replacement on the spot for $80.00. Battery # 2 went dead a month later in the driveway. Called CAA, they came, they tested the charging system and abttery and repalced Battery # 1 for free. A year passed, Battery # 3 dies immediately after a job interview. Called CAA, they came, they tested the charging system and battery and replaced Battery # 3 for free. Battery # 4 is currently fine.

On my Van, the Battery that I had purchased from a supplier and replaced myself died after two years.

Sure, check the charging system and the drain, but don't purchase an Alternator just because. In most cases, batteries, should be good for around

4 years or so.

It's the summer heat that kills the battery by the way, the cold only makes it show itself up as unable to keep a charge.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Reply to
KybonaBygona

Sears Diehard is no longer available in Canada. In fact, almost all of the Sears Auto shops have been closed or sold to someone else.

My problems of course started with that first battery failure and the subsequent easy/inexpensive replacement offered in my hour of need. Since then, the warranty and subsequent free batteries kept me locked in. If I get 4 years out of this battery, then I will look for a better unit. Until then, the warranty keeps me going with free batteries, and in two years, cheap pro-rated replacements.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins