OverDrive question?

I want to know whenI can switch the overdrive function on/off? The owner manual show don't turn it off when driving high speed. What is the meaning by that, how many mile per hours is high speed. What is the best way to use overdrive? and how can I save the gas? Thx.

Reply to
1999stanmaxima

Just leave it on.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Some people said "leave it on at the beginning was not good", so are u meaning just leave it on after the car has been warm up?

Reply to
1999stanmaxima

just leave it on after the car has been warm up?

Leave it on, period. The car will automatically take care of itself. When the car is cold, it refuses to go into overdirve, but once warmed up, it engages it. The only time you want to tun overdrive off is to get more power because it will downshift the car to a lower gear.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

I drive a 6-speed 02' maxima. When I drive the automatic version of any car, I always turn the OD off until I hit about 55 MPH which is only on the highway. This gives more torque on demand and keeps the transmission from changing so much in city traffic. You definitely don't want to turn OD off at highway speeds. Just tryp playing with it in city speeds and you'll get the hang of matching the engine speed with the gas pedal. Just a matter of preference.

manual show don't turn it off when driving high speed. What is the meaning by that, how many mile per hours is high speed. What is the best way to use overdrive? and how can I save the gas? Thx.

Reply to
Robin Zich

Thx. everyone

Reply to
1999stanmaxima

The best way to turn it on is on the Highway.

I want to know which one will use more gas? Turn on or turn off.

Reply to
1999stanmaxima

When the light is on, the car is downshifted to 3rd (overdrive is 4th gear). You will use more gas when the "O/D Off" light is on.

Every automatic transmission these days has an overdrive gear ratio in the the highest gear(s). You should not mess with it in this car any more than you would in a car that simply has all the gears on the shift selector (e.g. Honda has 1-2-D3-D4-D5 on the shift selector. D3 is direct drive, d4 and d5 are both overdrive gears. To drive it properly, you put it in D5 and forget about it).

The car knows to downshift when it needs to, the rest of the time the transmission will automatically upshift to the gear that provides the highest mileage.

Reply to
E. Meyer