Re: Brake Problem - 2000 SE

I had this happen to me on two occasions. I freaked!

Oddly, it hasn't occurred now in over a year.

Even after performing the service procedure for shuddering under braking, the problem has resurfaced, albeit to a much lesser extent.

Can't wait to unload my Maxi & get my new 530i next year. Finally.. a REAL car with REAL rear-wheel Drive AND an interior not designed by Mattell.

Reply to
Jimmy G

I cant get it to do it all the time either, Seems to occur when the brakes get hot, which of course they are not when the dealer test drives it. The loud low speed groaning occurs more often than the vibration.

I am going to insist on both new front pads, and the rotors turned on the vehicle per the two service bulletins. Yes when it happens at high speeds its quite the freak out.

Otherwise I am very happy with the car, but agree for such a relatively expensive vehicle such a severe brake problem is inexcusable.

"Jimmy G" wrote:

Reply to
vander

I TOTALLY agree with your "Inexcusble" concept. That's a good part of why I've decided to dump Nissan. The extra $$ on a REAL car (read BMW) will be worth the debt....of course... that's IF it doesn't start having problems like the Nissan. Then I'll have something else to whine about :-)

The brake wobble can easily be a result of improperly torqued wheels!

When having a rotatin done, or even a brake check, most mechanics are to damn lazy to break out the torque wrench. Insist on them torquing or even RE-torquing the wheel lugs. This can save a rotor!

Reply to
Jimmy G

I had the problem on my 2k1 at about 18K miles. Took it in with the TSB and they fixed it under warranty. At 45k now with no more problems but I am very careful to never let trained monkeys with impact wrenches get to close to the wheels.

Hard to believe anyone would comparison shop a Maxima with a BMW 5- series. Sticker shock aside... or maybe sticker shock just makes it obvious.... they're totally different classes.

Oh well.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

Oddly, the 5 series BMW is very close in size & performance... straight-line, of course. Many of the luxury options on my loaded 00SE are seen in the BMW.

Very true, they're in a different class. True quality is apparent in the BMW's construction & customer service. Of course....one would expect as much from a car costing nearly twoce as much.

Reply to
Jimmy G

The first time you have to have anything repaired or replaced on a BMW 5 series you will be in for another shock (and that happens sooner than you might think). It's not just the sticker price that is high. My licensed BMW mechanic friend tells me to stay away from them like the plague.

Reply to
Steve Manifold

Kinda like what a friend of mine told me not long ago: "Many people can afford to by a Mercedes, but far fewer can afford to maintain one". :-)

BTW, the latest J.D. Powers vehicle quality survey has Nissan ranked fourth just above BMW. Porsche, Toyota, and Honda rounded out the top five. See

Dan