206 brake pedal travel problem. HELP!

I'm really confused with this problem that has troubled my friends car for nearly two weeks. What's worst is I'm starting to notice the same problem on my car!

Mate has a 2001 GTI and after cornering the travel of the brake pedal has increased. Its more noticeable after a corner for some reason. The brake pedal will be its normal position but requires further travel than before. He thought it was the wheel bearings but has now replaced them with some improvement but not much. Calipers changed over, same pads which were in good condition and a flushing of the brake fluid. Problem is still there and the garage thinks it could be the rear wheel bearings. I am not expert but for wheel bearings to cause the brake pads to be pushed out requires quite a wobble! My friend has spent tons but still has the same problem.

Now after chatting with my mate about his problem my car seems to have the same thing. It wasn't as noticeable to start off with as I drive with different shoes. However, I've noticed that the brake pedal requires further travel than before and this worries me. The car still stops fine but why the additional travel for no reason???

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I've pumped the brake servo with the engine off and the pedal goes stiff hard so no problems with servo or vacuum lines.

Could it be the front rear compensator playing up? My front pads are like new with plenty of material left. Rear pads have around 4mm which is still fine by my standards.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing such a problem with further brake travel?

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim