206 over reving

Hi, I bought a 206 last weekend. 1.4 on a T plate with 82K on the clock. Drove it 20 odd miles home with no problems. I've had it parked up in the drive since, as I've not taxed it yet. Started it up this evening and the revs shot straight up to 2.7K and stayed there. Turned it off then on again - same thing. Turned it off then on and it idled perfectly. Any ideas as to what to look for? Car is for daughter to learn to drive, so I've got t get this right - can't take any chances.

Iain

Reply to
Swarfmaker

Check, clean, or possibly replace, the idle control valve. such as

sure you get the same part number as they can differ from model/engine size. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The usual way I expect. Put it into first, let out clutch slowly and so on.

Reply to
malc

Will answering this help you identify the problem with the car? If you will explain how the over reving and lack of car tax are connected I'm sure that we will all be suitably impressed.

Iain

Reply to
Swarfmaker

Make sure you get the same part number as they can differ from > model/engine size.> Bob

Thanks for your input, I'll check this out. It'll have to wait a bit though as I fell this morning and broke my right wrist.

Iain

Reply to
Swarfmaker

It's set that way so he can clear off quick when old bill comes along to check discs.

Reply to
Tar Baby

Do what the last owner did - sell it

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R N Robinson

> Make sure you get the same part number as they can differ from >> model/engine size.>> Bob

Sorry to hear that Iain. Hope it does not inconvenience you too much! An ideal opportunity to teach your daughter how to do vehicle maintenance!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin