406 Rev meter not working

Hi all,

I recently bought a 406 1998 1.9TD.

Symptoms:

-Rev-meter doesn't move when engine is running.

-The only time it moves is when I turn the key to start the engine (it rises to red-line momentarily and then drops back to zero)

My thouhts:

-Since the rev-meter moves during ignition, I presume that all the connections are ok.

-I've checked all the fuses

I've tried looking in Haynes, but it doesn't seem to mention the rev-meter anywhere in the normal sections of the book. Does anyone know where the rev-meter is connected to? is it the gearbox, or is it the ECU? I can't make any sense of the wiring diagrams in Haynes.

Thanks,

Reply to
ammo

Tachometers on diesels used to normally take a feed from the alternator. Whether newer ones like yours use a crank sensor or the ecu I couldn't say but I'd check the alternator connections first.

Reply to
Dave Baker