Battery low. 307

I started my 4 year old 307 Hdi this morning, there was a smell of burning rubber ( very frosty morning) I suspect the battery needs replacing. When replacing the battery, is it straight forward i e do the keys need re-coding , or anything else. The alternator belt seems well tensioned, does it require looking at, or replacing. Thanks Mike

Reply to
BoroBoy

Nearly a year ago, the battery on my 4-yr old 307SW died, I took it into one of the National Chain type of Replacement Exhaust, Tyres & Battery Centres for a new Battery. Over an hour later, they admitted defeat as they couldn't work out how to get the old battery out - it is stuck behind quite a few other bits & pieces in the Engine compartment!!

John

Reply to
JohnJBurness

It is covered by a plastic trim which you remove by taking off both leads and pull the cover out. There may be another cardboard type piece which will just pull out. Then undo the fixing bolt at the bottom and remove the battery. BUT. . . . It is VERY important to make sure the BSI is "asleep" before you disconnect the leads. So make sure the ignition is off and the keys out for AT LEAST 3 minutes. Preferably 5 minutes. This gives the ECU's and BSI a chance to shut down properly and save all the settings. Then when the battery is back in place you need to do a gentle "wake-up" by switching on the headlights (leave the window open to do this. Don't open the door first). Then open the door and start the engine. The only the thing you may need to do is initialise the driver's window. If it goes up in inch stages, get it right to the top, then hold the switch up for a few seconds. Also the radio may need the stations to be retuned. This all applies to any multiplexed car.

However I have never hadt a duff battery smelling of burning rubber. Why do you think it is the battery? Did it actually start the engine that morning? Check the belt for cracks on the ribs and also the pulleys and tensioners for wear and contamination. It has an automatic adjuster so won't go out of tension. At least until it is well worn and will probably break then!

Reply to
nigel

We started the engine "only just", and then put the fan on to clear ice from the windscreen, I suspect overloading the alternator and causing belt to slip ( i'm no expert) To cap a bad start to the day I can not get 3rd gear now, II have had no previous problems, if I do select it, it promptly kicks out ! The car is manual and has covered 65.000 miles ,dealer serviced all up to date. Is this a coincidence the two things coming at once. Thanks for the advice up till now. Mike.

Reply to
BoroBoy

Reply to
tricky4000

It is a known fact that sometimes to clear a fault, you need to disconnect the battery then reconnect. All done with no other precautions, and no problems either. Radio might need attention, and the windows might also need resetting, but neither was needed the two times I have done this so far.

Reply to
Brian