99 gp abs

I recently purchased a 99 gp with abs brakes. First car I've had with ABS on it. Last week we had our first major snow storm of the season, with icy streets as well. Experienced the "traction" device for the first time. I don't know if it is that or if it is just the car, but it handled very well on slick streets.

The one exception is the braking. I'm not certain if it is because I'm not use to ABS brakes or if there is something wrong with the brakes. It seemed like it took longer to stop on ice than normal. I also noticed that when I pressed hard on the brakes, there was a noise coming from the braking system that almost sounded like a small motor of some sort running. In addition, I could definitely feel what could only be described as a pounding sensation through the foot pedal.

Is this normal? Or should I be taking the car in for a brake inspection?

Reply to
RAS

Nothing but a zamboni can truly drive on ice. If it took longer its only because the conditions were worse. There is a motor that runs when the abs system kicks in. The pulsing from your brake pedal is 100% normal and if you want the abs to work correctly dont let off or pump your pedal. Traction control also uses the same abs system to apply braking to a slipping wheel.

I havent read through this because I already know how the abs system works but it should give you a basic understanding of the system even though I find flaws in their discriptions sometimes.

Bon·ne·ville

Oh I should also mention that if you dont know how to inspect your brakes, if you never had a brake job done, or dont know if your due for one then hell yes you should get your brakes inspected! Its the number one safety feature of every car on the road and I've seen to much scarry shit thats been on the road way to long!

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

oops Man way to many post for me on one thread but I had a typo, I ment "scary".

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

I would pull up the carpet, you probably have water leaking in, which in turn shorts the electrical system. All 99*- to 2003 grand prixs are prone to leaking~!!!

RAS wrote:

Reply to
Roger Smith