Pontiac Sunfire 2000 rust prevention question.

Hi.

I have a question. A few days ago there was an attempt of car theft on my

2000 Sunfire. Right next to the key-lock on the passanger side there is a hole, about 5mm long. I suspect that the theif tried to jab something sharp deep down, close to thekey- lock, and snap the lock out in order to steal possibly the whole car or just the CD player inside. Anyways, the lock works fine and you can't really notice the hole unless you really look, but I'm afraid that it would start to rust unless I do something about it ASAP. What would be the best way to close it up and prevent water going inside, and stop any possible rust?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
x56h34

My 2 cents suggestion. As far as water going inside, you can't stop it. Water will travel along the window down to the bottom of the door. If it is a small hole, I would take clear silicon (fish tank silicon quality that resist to water) and seal it off to prevent road salt from getting it your lock mechanism. If there is scratch, touch it up with paint 1st and allow it to dry then apply silicon.

Reply to
Mnn

If you want it to look right have it repaired at a body shop.. If you don't want to have it fixed maybe you can press metal from inside the door back outward to close up the hole. Then just touch it up with paint. You could put a dab of silicone sealer on the inside of the door...Is the door metal or plastic?

Did the thieves enter the car and take anything? They may come back.

My neighbor had a 86 BMW 318i. Thieves put a 3 inch hole saw on a cordless drill to her driver door lock. Destroyed the doorskin.

They stole her radio, which I guess is unusable once its removed from the vehicle.?

Good luck.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~269,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

It is metal.

No they didn't. It happened when I parked the car downtown, in front of a café bar. I don't think I'll go there ever again...bad neighborhood, it seems.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions guys. Really appreciated. I'll get a quote from a body shop and see if it's worth investing $$$ for a repair VS doing it myself.

Reply to
x56h34