1989 911 stored 2 months now clutch problem

Hi,

my 1989 911 3.2 Coupe has been sitting in a friends garage for the last

3 months while I was working abroad. The car was in perfect working order when stored.

I charged the battery and the car started perfectly after a couple of turns however I cannot engage the clutch.

When I press the clutch pedal in it goes so far, about 3 inches, and then makes a horrible crunching sound. I cannot engage any gears.

Any ideas what the problem is ?

Thanks,

Douglas.

Reply to
gherkin

I had the same problem with my 1967 911S. The clutch is frozen (corroded) to the flywheel.

To free it, take it out to the street, put it in 5th gear and have a friend (or a couple of them) hand-push you to start the engine. The compression shocks should be strong enough to break the corrosion bond at the clutch. It worked for me!

Reply to
Orval Fairbairn

This sounds a bit "primitive". I don't doubt it worked but it sounds a little dangerous. Is there anything that could break ?

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

Reply to
gherkin

Reply to
Brian E. Thompson

Only the clutch/flywheel chemical bonding, which is the weakest link in the drivetrain at that point.

Reply to
Orval Fairbairn

Reply to
Brian E. Thompson

the original advise to push start is good. I've done that successfully a few times (not with a 911, but with other cars). If you are afraid of that, jack the car's rear up and start it in gear, press the clutch down, bring RPM up to 1500 or so and press down on the brake

Reply to
bill