ELM 323 responds to AT commands

A while back, I bought an ELM 323, $50 Ebay, thinking it wouldn't be that hard to hack-up software to operate the device . . . only the MacOS is not so friendly about recognizing a generic, serial USB device. I've not given up on the Mac but I really needed to find out if this part would ever work. Then tonight, I got it work.

I'm running a Windows emulator and it recognizes the ELM 323 as a serial device and creates a "COM" device. Setting the speed to 9600 baud with hyperterm, an "ATZ" came back with the ELM 323, V2.0 response. We have communications.

I've just finished reading the programming manual and it looks quite feasible to write a Perl or possibly Java program to load ScanGauge XGAUGE definitions and make a passable, data reporting and recording system for NHW11s.

I looked over 'sourceforge' but none of the existing projects looks current. So there is a good chance I'll 'roll my own.' However, I haven't check the Yahoo and Google groups, yet. But I'm curious if anyone else has tried to do any work in this area.

Thanks, Bob Wilson

Reply to
bwilson4web