Classic 900 v 9-3 ?

My old Classic 900 is sadly now nearing the point where it has to go to the great scrap yard in the sky :(

I've been trying to find a low mileage Classic 900 to replace it but it looks like they're like hen's teeth!

So, i'm starting to consider a 9-3, i've heard far too many negative things about GM's first incarnation of the 900 to dismiss that

What is the 9-3 like?, strengths/weaknesses?, how does it compare to the Classic 900?, would it make a good alternative?

Ta

Matt

Reply to
Matt

The 9-3 would make a good alternative, but I would not buy it new. For the same money as a new 9-3, you have many other choices. But, since Saabs don't hold their value, a previously owned 9-3 makes a good car. Now for the pros and cons, only my opinion:

  1. You can't beat the big curved windshield of a Classic or the visibility out of the back. Any of the current models, Toyota, Saab, Nissan etc all seem to have the flat front windshield and the high back end (small rear window=visibility issues), so any of the current cars have about the same visibility, 9-3 included.
  2. The current models have glass sun roofs while the Classics have steel sun roofs. Why is this important? It could cost your life or cause injuries. I had another car with a glass run roof. A tree fell on the roof while I was driving. The glass sun roof shattered, it is not laminated glass. If I did not have inside cover closed the glass pieces would have sprayed all over me. However - you won't be able to get a steel sunroof in the current 9-3, so this is another point for the Classic.
  3. The unique eng> My old Classic 900 is sadly now nearing the point where it has to go to the
Reply to
ma_twain

ma_twain said on 11/28/2003 4:27 PM:

That's funny, because I was at a SAAB dealer and the SERVICE manager told me the same thing! I was commenting on a beautiful '90-ish 900 convertable and he said they hold their value better than the new SAABS. Sad but true, as the new SAABS are easily 'lost in the crowd'. I surely wouldn't pay 30k+ for something that I couldn't find in a parking lot...

I have heard that SAAB had most of the bugs worked out of the GM models by 96/97 and those still /look/ like a SAAB.

cm (still driving his '90 900 that he bought new)

Reply to
cm

Is the boot (trunk) as big in the 9-3 as it is in the Classic 900?

Reply to
Matt

No! Not even close.

My 0.02 - If you need to get a small one one, get a 9^3. Many fixes over the NG900. THe 9k is a bit of a maintenance hog compared to the C900, but it feels more of a Saab than the 9^3. 5spds are available and as long as it is not an Aero, they are pretty reasonably priced. There were/are 2 '96 9ks near me (columbus, OH US) recently. Both 5sp, clean and

Reply to
KeithG

I literally carried the "10 foot pole" in my Classic - 8 of them to be precise. Nothing hanging out or blocking visibility and all windows closed! The shape of the Classic enables it to carry things which don't fit in full size cars and wagons.

Reply to
ma_twain

Reply to
Phil Costa

8-)

My running C900 is 20 years old with about 250 K km on the clock and it's going well. Engine has a problem when starting, esp. when cold, but I am going to put some time into investigating the fuel system now I have original workshop manuals in metal binders to use as my guide...

There's a bit of rust appearing which I need to treat, and over the past few days I've been 'stealing' cosmetic parts, etc. off a donor car which ironically has better paintwork but the engine is quite f@#ked so since the donor car cost me A$225 to buy and A$380 to freight, it's hardly worth spending money to get it running.

The running C900 has rather awful paintwork (it's original white which is faded and the pigment comes off with each wash!), but the mechanicals are great. I can tolerate the 3-spd auto transmission and 8-valve engine. Not having an ECU to deal with servicing is no major drama (not yet anway).

Craig.

-- Guru Will Sellit! ** 'sunrk' on Ebay ** | Get Back on Track at the Sun Shack Craig Dewick - aka the one4sun! |

or
Main info website at
+------------------------------------- SRK's Ebay Shop is now available at

The One4Sun - GWS