New Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible - advice please.

I'm toying with ordering a new 9-3 Aero Convertible (though most people might ask why given that I live in Scotland) as I quite like the look and I'm sure it would be a nice experience during the few sunny days we get here but as I've only just driven a 9-3 2.0t Vector for a week (demo car) and don't really have time to book another test drive before I need to order (my current lease on a Volvo expires in less than 3 months) - I'm just wondering if any of you experienced folks can answer a few queries I have...

Mainly.. how does the Convertible drive compared to the Saloon(Sedan)? I know the Aero has a slightly different drive anyway but with the top up, is the refinement much different (how much louder is the road/wind noise)?

I am considering two colours.. Steel Gray or black (not sure whether I like the plain black or Expresso best) - what in people's experience are the best looking and most practical colours? I've seen photos of course but I find that photos don't always do the cars justice.

I noticed a few pics in the brochure that show an interior with the top up - the leather is parchment and so is the interior of the hood.. the only pics I see of the slate gray upholstery are shown with hood down.. i assume the interior of the hood on such a configuratio would be the same colour (slate) - and if so, is that not quite gloomy inside?

The rear room in the saloon seemed fairly decent - i don't often have rear passengers and when i do it's mostly my partner's 14-year old daughter but would the convertible be cramped for 2 average sized adults on a fairly long trip (350miles)?

Finally, as I assume you cannot take the convertible, top up, through an automatic car wash, what do people tend to do int erms of jeeping the car clean... I'm a bit lazy for hand washing - particularly in the heavy winter months when the road crap piles up so is there a decent alternative?

TIA

-- TP

Reply to
Taipan

I have had my espresso black Aero sport saloon for a month now and it does look great (i think the best colour) when clean but very dull and ugly when dirty which lets face it is a day after i've cleaned here in scotland. So if you are lazy when it comes to cleaning your car then go with another colour.

RM

Reply to
Roberto Marcantonio

Cheers for the reply.. I've seen an expresso black convertible quite recently on the road between Dumbarton and Balloch (wonder how many of them there are in Scotland?) and it did look nice in the sun.. I popped down to Western Saab in Glasgow to have a look at the cars in the lot and there was a nice non-metallic black right at the showroom entrance but then the missus spotted one of the Lime Yellow ones and said she liked that.. not sure myself, always regarded it as a chick's colour but then again, I notice a row of black 9-5s which were all spattered with everything under the sun, dead insects, bird cack and general road muck.. I can imagine I'd spend half my life washing the damn thing in black.. still deliberating.

-- TP

Reply to
Taipan

Very refined as convertibles go. Well insulated for cold weather. I drive mine year round and it's no different than a hardtop in terms of comfort. It is a little noisier on the highway when trucks go by. Other than that, not much difference.

Black cars are very, very hard to keep up. I'm a guy who likes to detail cars and I'm fairly good at it... my black car is significantly more work than any car I've ever owned and never really looks good unless I've just finish detailing it. After that, it goes downhill fast. I'd never buy another black car.

Gray is about the best color for hiding defects and dirt. Of course, it's not as "exciting".

MHO, yes. I don't put adults in the year of my 'vert. I consider it a

2+2, not a 4 passenger car.

You should never take any car through a car wash. The soaps they use strip the wax off your car as they are very caustic. Brushes scratch your car, the so called "brushless" or "cloth" drag wet strips with sand imbedded in them across your finish. The result is a lot of surface scratches, "spiderwebbing", etc. Very, very bad for dark cars, not too god for light ones either.

A convertible definitely should not go through a car wash. In addition, you should not even wash the top with soap unless it is absolutely necessary. Just a water rinse. You want to avoid removing the water repellency. You will also need to treat the top once or twice a year. Takes a couple hours and restores any lost repellency.

Reply to
Bob

[...]

Here is a point where I agree. My saab has never seen a car wash since I bought it in 1997.

However... I see lot of convertibles every day. There are mercedes, some even AMG. Audi A4 convertible is popular, more so than Audi TT convertible. Natuarlly, I see BMWs and the new Saab convertibles. Convertibles are popular around here. What do the all have in common? Most of the time the roof is up. It's now June and the weather is excellent?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 17:28:46 +0100, Johannes H Andersen excellent?

I hear that. They don't really understand the purpose. By the time they think it's warm enough to put the top down, it's so hot they put it back up and turn on the A/C.

I get mine down when the temp reaches the mid to upper 60's, depending on the sun factor. I end up using the heater a lot but I love the top down feel. The absolute best time is in the late afternoon on a hot summer day when the sun is low but the temp is still 80 degrees.

A warm night, a warm turbo, a warm girl beside me... life couldn't be finer.

Reply to
Bob

There is an opposite coin to that. I do sometime occasionally pass open convertibles on the motorway. When you pass them, you can see absolutely everything in the car. My car is a 9000 of course, but then think if I had a high 4x4 say, then there wouldn't be any privacy in your convertible wouldn't there?

Probably just envious...

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 23:14:28 +0100, Johannes H Andersen privacy in your convertible wouldn't there?

Well, there isn't much to see in my car... if the truck drivers want to look at my legs, they can. If they want to look at my girl's legs, that just builds up my ego.

Having the roof down does make it easier to start conversations with people on the street or in other cars. It seems to put you in the same space, rather than in a hardtop car where you are in a "different" space.

Reply to
Bob

That could possibly cause an accident due to the distraction.

Then I'm puzzled to see things like Mercedes CL 55 AMG convertibles; Imagine going 155+ mph with the roof down - it will probably blow off!

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 13:27:27 +0100, Johannes H Andersen

Naw, my legs ain't that attractive :-)

Reply to
Bob