New SAAB = SUBARU WRX!!

i couldn't believe it when i found out the new 9-2x is basically a Subaru WRX with saab front end and interior!

sure its probably a decent car and it looks a hell of a lot better than the subaru version, but am I the only one who longs for the day when saab designed its own ugly creations?

globalization bad!

max

Reply to
Caruthers2004

"Caruthers2004" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m04.aol.com...

Welcome to.... what has it been, 7 or 8 months since the 9-2X was announced? It was pretty clear from day one that it would be an Impreza.

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen

This is an improvement. Original rumours were that even the interior was unchanged Subaru.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

"Johannes H Andersen" skrev i melding news:404094CF.73E89EF6@sizefitter_0_0_0_0_.com...

What's really going to be nice are all the tuning parts for the WRX that now can be used on a Saab. Opens a whole new market for HKS and JUN. Imagine a Saab doing a 9-second 1/4 mile.

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen

In article , caruthers2004 @aol.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Why not. They bought in the 2 stroke engine and improved it. They bought in the ford V4 and made it reliable. They used the same licensed reference design and improved that and made it work. So why not make a new base model on an Impreza chassis (if they can add some Saab safety why not) afterall, they use Opel engines in the minimal non turbo model 9-3 for the german market, and the Astra convertable has styling cues from Saab.

It is as good a thing for Saab as it is for GM and Matsushita Heavy industries. Saab will now have a car that is at a level of handling and performance and tunablility and common understandability to make it a real candidate to get Saab back into WRC rallying. That will raise the profile and get younger drivers interested in Saab again.

Middle execs and long term brand loyalists of the 900 continuation will drive 9-3 models, senior execs and people who discovered Saab and owned a 9000 will own 9-5 and it's replacement models.

While it does dilute the purity of what a Saab is, it can be a good thing.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Don't forget the Triumph engine in the first 99 (was no success though...)

------- MH

Reply to
MH

[snip]

You mean "Fuji Heavy Industries".

I accept this statement in general, but find myself to be the exception. I currently have a 9000, yet have no desire to replace it with a 9-5 or the latest 9-3. I always liked the Impreza station wagon and was happy to see the WRX model which has more power. I didn't particularly care for all the "go fast" plastic stuff that was added to the WRX. It seemed to beg every passing policeman for a traffic citation. Saab seems to be keeping the performance and playing down the gaudy looking attachments; exactly what I would want. If they can resist from making the price much higher than a comparable Subaru, I'll be very happy - and possibly a new Saab owner.

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T
Reply to
Walt Kienzle

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.no spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Yeah. missed out the trumph in "They used the same licensed reference design and improved that and made it work."

Should have said They used the same licensed reference design as Triumph and improved that and made it work.

I think it was a success. It lasted through the 99 and into the H engined 900's didn't it? Not the whole engine, but an improvement based on the design.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@iwic.net spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

You are correct, but I though Matsushita and Fuji were in it together somewhere. Must be getting confused in my old age.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

The 9-3SS uses GM engines throughout the entire range.

Reply to
Murphwiz

The interior pics show entirely Subaru, with saab interior colour tones.

Reply to
Murphwiz

The turbo charged engines are heavily modified by Saab and until recently unique to the 9-3SS in that form. However, the 175 bhp 2.0t 'Saab' version has recently been introduced as a luxury option in the (GM) Vauxhall Vectra repmobile.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Why not just buy a Subaru then? Almost sounds like a half assed kit car.

Reply to
James Sweet

I actualy don't mind too much, if they bring it to the UK (which I hope they do) I'll be very happy and will more than likely get hold of one. Two reasons for this. 1. The new 9-3 and 9-5 don't do much for me, little feed back and not a lot of fun 2. As a C900 Tuner the possibility of a Saab badged WRX is a brilliant oppurtunity to move into providing kit for another model as 90% of the development is done, having specced several Impreza's up.

Regards Matt

Reply to
**-**

In article , snipped-for-privacy@TAKEMEOUTTOOhotmail.comREMOVEMESPAMMERZ spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Granted, but I was thinking of the German non turbo variation for the company/fleet market.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

The non turbo 1.8 is available right across europe inc UK.

Reply to
Murphwiz

I think it depends - if we're going to accept the fact that there will never again be a Saab built completely on a Saab developed platform (which seems very likely), then Subaru is probably a very sensible partner.

Reply to
Grunff

But if the Saab 9-2X is so close to Subaru in every detail, then what will happen when e.g. Subaru updates the model? Won't the Saab then be perceived as the 'old' model?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Dunno - does it matter? Saab want a smaller car. If the choice is between the Astra platform and the Impreza platform, and you had to make the decision, which would it be?

Reply to
Grunff

Thats been happening pretty much since 1986 in one form or another...

Reply to
Murphwiz