High Milers, how many miles on your Saturn?

I am curious on how many miles saturn owners have racked up on their cars w/o a major rebuild. I drive 35 miles each way to get to work w/o any stop and go traffic and wonder just what a profile like that might manage to rack up. (I change oil at 3000 Mi)

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
clutch

I bought my VUE last year (December 2003). I now have 85000 KM on that...

Not overly high...but still....

Reply to
Vidar

I have a 1998 SW2 with 111k miles on it. (there are tons of higher ones here)

Repairs/maintenance done to date: coolant temp sensor (warranty) horn relay (warranty) switch for backup lights (warranty) front brake pads once tires replaced twice (and alignment) pcv valve 4 or 5 times oil and filter changes spark plugs and wires changed twice serpentine belt changed once windshield replaced once rear passenger triangular window replaced once (thieves) front passenger window replaced once (different thieves) key fob remote battery replaced once or twice air filter replaced a few times wiper blades replaced

That's about it.

Currently broken, but not sure I'll fix: rear wiper sprayer (~75k miles?) odometer light (~105k miles)

I'm still on my original clutch, alternator, battery, rear brake pads, struts, shocks, engine, seats, etc, and I don't really burn any oil except when my PCV valve is due for replacement.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

2000 SL1 5-speed

Just hit 96K miles last night. New tires New battery Replaced top motor mount.

3K oil changes with synthetic Still not a major ding in it.

I'm happier with it than the day I bought it new.

Reply to
Dean S. Lautermilch©²ºº³

I have a 97 SL1 Standard with almost 180K. Have replaced EGR Valve, Cruise Module. Have not had to realign front end! (knock on wood). Engine misses sometimes when accelerating - guess I should replace the "original" fuel filter - I've heard that should be replaced every 30K :-)). Also replaced serpentine twice.

Happy motorin'

Reply to
Blind Saturn Driver
1991 SL2 DOHC

Replaces all sensors Mufflers. And it's a major Oil burner.. About 2 quarts per gas tank.

Next thing to replace... I have an engine on order..

Reply to
Joe Biadasz

Hey, come to think of it... do these things have water pumps? I never see any comments about replacing water pumps. I've drive to From Fort Wayne, IN to Idaho three times with >160K miles. I've never had a car that had a water pump lst this long...

Reply to
Blind Saturn Driver

'94 SW2 140k (1 Alternator, Idler Pulley, Orig. Exh. Sys.) '95 SW2 110k (Tranny Input Shaft Nut) '96 SL2 105k (1 Alternator) '03 VUE Only 19k

Reply to
Chasberry
1998 SL 165K no problems (reg maintainance) 1998 SC1 190K no problems (reg maintenance)

Reply to
Murray McIntosh
95 SW1 172,000. Does 85 miles a day, 65 of which are at 80MPH. Burns a quart every 1000, give or take.
Reply to
David Teichholtz
95 SL2, 87,000 miles, not burning any oil (have used synthic oil most of the time).
Reply to
Skid
92 SC 235000 km It has been an oil burner since we bought it used at 150000 Water pump 150000 Clutch actuator 180000 Front shocks 230000 Both Lower control Arms/Ball joints 203000 Front Wheel Bearings 203000 Wiper arm frame assy 203000 Clutch and pressure plate 203000 Alternator 227000 - This is the only time the car left us stranded!

It's mostly a city driver, excellent reliable car, still going strong - so long as you don't mind adding a litre of oil at every 2nd or 3rd fill up.

Reply to
Mike
1995 SL2 with 76,000 miles

Mostly just the regular (or semi-regular when time and/or money was short) maintenance.... Body work from a wreck at about 45,000 miles... New alternator... New torque converter... Tires, Brakes, & the other odd "consumable" items...

Starting to burn quite a bit of oil, but it's role has changed from in-town trips to a 60-mile (each way) daily interstate commute. Still runs great, though.

SLH

Reply to
SLH

140K mi on a 96 SL. Have had the standard consumables (brakes, etc) and a new alternator at 110K or so. It's been very reliable until the past year; I haven't had any serious problems in the past year but I don't have the confidence in it to take it out-of-state anymore either. (Occasionally it decide it would rather not shift today, than k you very much. It take a lot of coaxing to convince it that, yes, Ireally do want to use second gear right now.)

-Neil

Neil

'93 SC2

225,000+ miles

At around 210K, the head and rings were done, the injectors replaced, and new alternator and water pump and radiator. After dumping all the $$$ into it, it damm well better run until 300,000 >:(

Oh yeah, the belt tensioner popped the other month. That was interesting, particularly because my dad insissted on driving the car into NYC with mom, even though the belt was flopping and it wasn't charging...

Oh yeah, before that - nothing. I don't get where all this oil burning stuff comes from - mine never did. My big beef is lousy city mileage, though highway, it'll get about 36 or so. But man, my Harley gets that and is 10000 times more fun (on nice days).

Here's the screwy part: Origional clutch.

Yeah, it rattles, yeah they interior's a bit worn and the exterior is, but the darn thing won't rust away, and having a GM power train, it won't stop running either. I ought to get the alignment done and new rotors, but that can wait a bit...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

You give me hope. I bought a used sl1 at 31800 Miles on 11/03/03 and on 4/1/04, I had racked up 11,654 miles which makes for a close to

29K mile annual mileage.

My car is financed for 5 years hoping that it would run w/o majors to

141,000 miles. So far it has been pretty good car.

I like manual trannys but passed on one for the Saturn since it seems if you are a high miler, you have to replace it at some point and it wipers out any mpg and price difference.

The only only manual tranny car I ever owned (1986 Escort) didn't make

60,000 on the original clutch. Likely my fault since I drove it way too hard. You having an original clutch is outstanding. It sound like you do a bunch of stop and go since you complain of lowsy city mileage.

As far as mileage on my end, my normal 5+ day a week drive is to pull out of drive, stop, turn right, drive 1/4 mile, stop turn left, drive

1.4 miles, stop, turn left, drive 30 or so up a highway and then interstate, then stop, turn right, turn left, stop turn right, maybe stop at a light, turn left, turn left, park. I have a feeling that these are pretty easy miles.

I purchased the factory service manuals since I figured I will likely drive it into the fix it zone. My last vehicle (91 ranger auto 4x4 went 234K miles). I was so hoping to make 250K miles.

So far, out side of the somewhat cramped seating for a 6' person, I like this little gitmethar.

I thank everyone for their histories.

clutch
2000 SL2 241,850 miles

Reply to
mcyben

What do you do to rack those kind of miles in so few years?

clutch

Drive about a 1,000 miles a week for work.

Reply to
mcyben
1994 Saturn SL1 just turned 205 klicks. Changed alternator and muffler!!

larry

Reply to
Laurent Doiron