Motor mount or transmission? regarding a Saturn SW2 1993 wagon

hi all,

When I drive the car, it makes a clunking noise whenever the gears shift. It's automatic. Then when the engine warms up a little, there's also a scraping noise. None of this is bad enough to make the car undriveable, but of course I don't like it. It seems like when I fill the gas tank completely, it gets a little better.

Ok, so my b/f took a look, and had me change the gears from park to neutral to drive and etc. while he looked at the engine, with the hood open, and he noticed that when I shift gears, the engine itself moved. The whole friggin engine! So he said he though the problem was the motor mount, that maybe that needed to be checked.

So what do you think, could it be the motor mount?

Reply to
kohlrabi_croce

Common problem, easy replacement. How many miles are on the car?

Reply to
Steve

yes, but which problem is it?

I'm afraid I don't know how many miles because the odometer broke, but it was well taken care of before I got it, and I don't put a lot of miles on it. I only work part time, and when I'm not working I don't even drive it every day.

I've had it 3-4 years.

Reply to
kohlrabi_croce
[...]

Pretty hard for it to *not* be one (or both) of the motor mounts. The engine isn't supposed to move around, and if the motor mounts are good, it won't. Upper motor mount is the most likely.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Thank you!

Reply to
kohlrabi_croce

So if the replacement is easy, it should not cost me a whole lot at the mechanic, I hope.

Reply to
kohlrabi_croce

oh very good, my b/f tells me the motor mount is a simple rubber piece, I can just order it online this weekend, and get it done by an inexpensive place we know about. Whew, thank you!

Reply to
kohlrabi_croce

The rubber piece that is worn out comes attached inside something called a Torque Axis Mount (the top motor mount). You can purchase it at the dealer. Make sure you tell them the year and supply the VIN if they ask since some of these use a slightly different part (that requires slightly longer bolts) in the replacement kit.

You should be able to do a google search on this or look it up on the Saturn Fans Forum. You can easily see how the rubber bushing has shrunk away from the metal motor mount and which most likely leads to the clunking you are hearing. Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Are there lower motor mounts that would suffer - after driving too long with a badly worn upper motor mount ? ... and perhaps need replacement also ? jt

..

Reply to
hubops

the lower mount is actually a transmission mount on the botoom opposite side of the upper mount. There are also 2 dog bomes, one on each side but I woul just do the upper and transmission mount. They are not cheap so buy them somewhere like advance auto that hve a lifetime guarantee. You'll have about $130 in parts, but they are real easy to replace yourself if you have a jack and piece of wood.

Reply to
p_vouers