Asbestos in Studebakers?

Does any one know for sure if Studebaker used any asbestos in the heat shielding for the firewall under the dash in the 59 Lark? Did they use it on the roof between the headliner and the roof sheet metal? Was the sound deadener/ heat shield under the hood for some of the models asbestos? Any other places they could have used it apart from the brakes and clutch?

Just had a safety meeting and some training at work and now I'm unsure of the, what I thought might be fiberglass looking, insulation material under the dash against the firewall. One guy said he had removed the headliner of his 64 Dodge Dart and it had an asbestos heat/sound deadener material glued to the roof.

Any one...any one...?

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

The real issue was that people inhaled Asbestos fibers which damaged their lungs leading to numerous diseases.

An example was The Wittenoom Mine In Western Australia, I have seen footage of the workers being covered in Asbestos dust, whilst the directors of CSR (same CSR who own the Rinker Brick Company) who owned the mine visited whilst holding handkerchiefs over their faces.

It's unlikely to be an issue but you could wear a face mask and carefully vacuum up any dust created whilst removing the asbestos, seal (double bagged) then arrange for appropriate disposal.

Avantilover

Reply to
John Clements

It's better IMO not to disturb the asbestos - then there are no loose fibers floating around. It doesn't hurt anybody as long it's left alone.

Reply to
zoombot

When I was a Corvair nut in the '60s, I took powdered asbestos, mixed it with water and wrapped it around the exhaust pipe going to the turbo, with aluminum foil and wire, to make it hotter. I even did a class on it at one of the national Corvair (CORSA) conventions. I'm almost 71 now and have had no problems. Of course, I do have a hot flash whenever I see a Corvair turbo! ;-)

John

Reply to
fieronut

I'm almost 71 now and have had no problems. John

Give it time. :))

Reply to
NVArt

You mean 40 years isn't enough? ;-)