help new to studebaker world

my wife's father just passed and he had a 1964 avanti that i am told he replaced the supercharged r2 for the r3 engine. we were wondering where to begin to tell what we had and where to begin to get this stud started. We don't think its been start since 1992 when he had it in a car show but we know for sure it hasn't been registered since 1985. We had the car shipped to our home in Virgina and we were also wondering about studebaker car meets and such in the area for after we get it running. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Reply to
samskee

check out the Studebaker Driver's Club website, there is a good overview there of what you ought to do to a "new to you" Studebaker. If you can put up a pic of the engine we can help identify exactly what you have, also what is the engine number? It will be stamped on a pad just in front of the valley cover, slightly on the driver's side of the engine. For an Avanti, check the condition of the frame and hog troughs (torque boxes) as they are known to rust.

Where in Virginia are you? there's two local SDC chapters, one DC- centric and one Richmond-centric.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the newsgroup!

This is a pretty good resource for anybody wanting to learn about and be involved in driving and restoring Studebakers.

Our little corner of the internet has gotten smaller in the last few years, as more forums opened up, but this is still a good place to come and learn Oh yeah - we do a LOTof Off Topic BS, but that's what makes it a fun group. ('Cept for the political crap we get caught up in)

Lotsa resources here:

That's JP's site. many links to other sites there.

Post your needs and questions here- many of the vendors hang out here.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Dunning

What is the serial number of the car. It is on a plate on the drivers side door post. When you open the door look at the doorpost at the front of the door. Thanks Bob

Reply to
RBK.

Sorry.on the Avanti the serial number is on a plate welded to the frame on the drivers side looking down under the hood on the drivers side you will see a stainless steel serial number plate

Reply to
RBK.

Correction again.it is on the passenger side!!!

Reply to
RBK.
Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire
Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

I found the serial number it is 63R-2592 i am still looking for the one stamped on the engine. thanks you everyone for the help so far

Reply to
samskee

I will post more pics when i can push it out of my garage to get some better pics. It does have round head lights and a four speed transmission.

Reply to
samskee

Actually it would be 63r-25921. Studebaker used a capital I for the number

Reply to
blacklarkviii

No, the number is 63R-2592 is correct. The Avanti numbers were 4-digit. IIRC, they started with 63R-1001, which would make this car 1592 in the production. This would be consistent with the 1737 body number. The serial numbers and body numbers did not normally match up, but were reasonably close.

Jim Bradley

'64 Daytona HT ?Rerun? snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net Remove HAT to reply

blacklarkviii Actually it would be 63r-25921. Studebaker used a capital I for the number

Reply to
Jim Bradley

In my not-so-humble opinion, If you are not Studebaker mechanically inclined (and they are a "little different" as also the people that play with them ) and you being in Virginia, I would suggest contacting John Poulos (DC area), Jon Meyer (Ohio?), Bob Kapitan (Mi?) or many other RECONIZED EXPERTS to evaluate your vehicle and repair and maintain it correctly to retain value and operational safety. Even if you incur shipping costs to these qualified people you are money ahead and less apt to incur grief with this exceptional prize that also has emontional value to the person that controls your highway to happiness (aka: current wife unit, ). Calvin 864-547-0272

Reply to
oldcarfart

Bob, Hopefully this bout of "Crainialrectumitus" will clear soon and you will see the light again with your own eyes, try slow withdrawl and here's hoping all else is well with you! Calvin.

Reply to
oldcarfart

Reply to
John Poulos

I would suggest joining the Avanti Owners Association International (AOAI). This club is a spin off of the Studebaker Drivers Club (SDC) dedicated to the Avanti model only. They have a quartley magazine full of technical and historical information. I would also suggest attending the joint SDC/AOAI meet scheduled for June 17 - 23 this year in South Bend Indiana, the home of Studebaker. There will be many vendors and hundreds of members of both clubs in attendance. More info on the meet can be found at

AOAI cluband meet info can be found at
Jason Ford R4478

Reply to
jford