How are Studebaker VIN and Body number plates attached?

Hi all, it appears that my project car, a 1964 Daytona hardtop may have turned in to a parts car. In the process of getting a title (the seller lost the title over the years) a police officer said that the VIN Plate should have been spot-welded to the body at the four corners of the plate. The one I have is riveted on with what appears to be pop-rivets. Also, I looked at the body tag plate and it is attached with two Phillips head screws. I am guessing that a previous owner switched ID plates.

Can anyone confirm that the VIN Plate was spot-welded to the body? How is the body tag supposed to be attached?

Thanks for the help!

KenStude

Reply to
kengaye

I believe that the body tag should be spot welded, although I have never seen more than two welds and they tend to be somewhat randomly placed. I am not sure about '64 though. The body tag is indeed attached by pan head phillips screws. It's not impossible that there was some repair done to the A-pillar that involved R&Ring the serial tag; the pillars do tend to rust.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I'd take it somewhere where you get another police officer/DMV employee to look at it. I've titled two Studebakers and both had the VIN plate installed with screws. I've never seen a body tag that wasn't installed with screws. The only part about restoring an old vehicle that has caused me to worry is the damn DMV office, everything else seems to work itself out, these idiots think of reasons to deny you a title.

If worse comes to worse, just spot weld the VIN tag to the pilar.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

The serial number plate on the A-Pillar was originally held in place by TWO spot welds toward the opposite corners. There should be some sort of witness marks on the tag to show where those spot welds were placed when new.

The body tag is, indeed, held on the cowl by two phillips head screws. This tag has nothing to do with the legal identification of the car. It was simply there as an inventory control tag of sorts, showing the body sequence number, body style, and what engine (six or eight) it was intended to have.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

that should be SERIAL tag is welded and body tag is screwed on. hope you understood what I meant...

nate

Reply to
N8N

Thanks for the information, that is helpful. There are witness marks on the A-pillar where there appeared to be welds, but the VIN plate seems to have been trimmed to a smaller size and then riveted.

KenStude

Reply to
KenStude

Check to see if the S/N plate number matches that of the "secret" S/N located on the flange of the rear cross member. If so, the motor vehicle nazis won't have a case...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire