How are Studebaker VIN and Body number plates attached?

Threaded View

Hi all, it appears that my project car, a 1964 Daytona hardtop may
have turned in to a parts car.  In the process of getting a title (the
seller lost the title over the years) a police officer said that the
VIN Plate should have been spot-welded to the body at the four corners
of the plate.  The one I have is riveted on with what appears to be
pop-rivets.  Also, I looked at the body tag plate and it is attached
with two Phillips head screws.  I am guessing that a previous owner
switched ID plates.

Can anyone confirm that the VIN Plate was spot-welded to the body?
How is the body tag supposed to be attached?

Thanks for the help!

KenStude

Re: How are Studebaker VIN and Body number plates attached?

I believe that the body tag should be spot welded, although I have
never seen more than two welds and they tend to be somewhat randomly
placed.  I am not sure about '64 though.  The body tag is indeed
attached by pan head phillips screws.  It's not impossible that there
was some repair done to the A-pillar that involved R&Ring the serial
tag; the pillars do tend to rust.

nate

Re: How are Studebaker VIN and Body number plates attached?

that should be SERIAL tag is welded and body tag is screwed on.  hope
you understood what I meant...

nate

Re: How are Studebaker VIN and Body number plates attached?

Thanks for the information, that is helpful.  There are witness marks
on the A-pillar where there appeared to be welds, but the VIN plate
seems to have been trimmed to a smaller size and then riveted.

KenStude

Re: How are Studebaker VIN and Body number plates attached?

Check to see if the S/N plate number matches that of the "secret" S/N
located on the flange of the rear cross member.  If so, the motor
vehicle nazis won't have a case...

JT

Re: How are Studebaker VIN and Body number plates attached?

I'd take it somewhere where you get another police officer/DMV employee to
look at it.  I've titled two Studebakers and both had the VIN plate
installed with screws.  I've never seen a body tag that wasn't installed
with screws.  The only part about restoring an old vehicle that has caused
me to worry is the damn DMV office, everything else seems to work itself
out, these idiots think of reasons to deny you a title.

If worse comes to worse, just spot weld the VIN tag to the pilar.

Lee

Re: How are Studebaker VIN and Body number plates attached?

The serial number plate on the A-Pillar was originally held in place
by TWO spot welds toward the opposite corners.  There should be some
sort of witness marks on the tag to show where those spot welds were
placed when new.

The body tag is, indeed, held on the cowl by two phillips head screws.
This tag has nothing to do with the legal identification of the car.
It was simply there as an inventory control tag of sorts, showing the
body sequence number, body style, and what engine (six or eight) it
was intended to have.

Lee DeLaBarre
Daytona62

Site Timeline