R1 Wagonaire Engine

Now that I have the R1 engine torn down I have discovered it is a clover leaf block. It has a clover leaf by the JT engine # (stamped in the correct place on the block by whoever replaced the original engine) with the traces of a clover leaf and a number 8. The crank has a clearer clover leaf with the number 84 next to the number 1 on the rear of the crank. Anyone ever seen the clover leaf stamped on the crank shaft?

The engine has R1 pistons with the correct R1 casting #'s. A fiber timing gear which I will replace with the correct aluminum one and R1 heads that are the correct casting number. I am going to use the R1 heads but with a thicker gasket to reduce the compression ratio by .50. The rust damaged cylinder bore is not as bad as I thought. I am going to run a hone in it to clean it up. The piston in the damaged cylinder however had rings that were completly frozen (checked one other cylinder and the piston and rings were fine) and imbedded in the ring groves on the piston so I replaced that piston with one from my R1 Avanti piston stock. All in all it is a fun project.

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Please explain what a "clover leaf block" is. Joe Roberts

Reply to
itraseecab

They were replacement engines sold by the factory. Could they be called crate engines?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 378 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
blacklarkviii

blacklarkviii They were replacement engines sold by the factory. Could they be called

The cloverleaf stamp indicated heavy duty components ie these engines were replacement heavy duty truck engines.

Reply to
transtar60xxx