EA81 stalling....

the saga continues.....we had water dropping into the oil of a 1983 EA81 4AD subaru. Head has been skimmed and replaced. Engine starts and runs fine but...........

now the engine randomly stalls. You are driving along at normal speed and without warning the car slows down come to a halt and stalls. You start the engine and off you go again until the next time it happens. Never seen anything like this before. Ignition seems good but I was wondering whether during the head work something got disturbed and isnt happy any more ;)

We removed the inlet manifold as a unit so it probably got moved for the first time in 20+ years. - and the carby would have got juggeld about in the process.

A friend mentioned the PCV valve as a possibility (I dont even know what that is but I'm gonna find out).

Any other ideas? Al Blake, Australia

Reply to
Al Blake

My first thought was ignition, as in no or weak spark, then no or low fuel pressure and then maybe a massive vacuum leak. But from your description it sounds like you have no problem restarting the engine. I wonder if you have an engine ground problem? You had to remove a lot of stuff to replace the head gasket and also I would guess had to remove one or more ground wires. may have overlooked one when putting everything back togather. I'm not familiar with the EA81 engine and don't know how much of an engine wiring harness it has but it is always worth the time to recheck all the connections.

Reply to
johninKY