lifter noise

I just had an oil change done on my 2003 OBS. The mechanic made sure to mention that my timing belt was due, but also mentioned that the engine was noisy (lifters.)

In the factory timing belt service, do they adjust lifters? The website says "inspect valve clearance." Does this mean "listen for ticking noise?" Am I going to get a call from the dealer saying: "your valve lifters need adjustment, it's going to be an extra many dollars because we have to take the valve covers off blah blah blah"?

Any thoughts on doing a timing belt service at Subaru vs a shop that will strictly do a timing belt? The local guys can do a strict belt replacement for much cheaper, but I don't know what else Subaru would do at the same time. Is there a list of things they replace handy? Looks like not very much other than the air filter.

Reply to
Chicobiker

Yes, there will be an extra fee for adjusting lifters, they can be a real PITA. Easiset to do with the heads off, but there is a subaru tool that lets you do it with the cams still in place.

Reply to
StephenW