Mixing gas ok ?

Gas here in GA is up to $2.25 for premium. Is mixing 50% 83 with 50% 93 ok for a WRX ?

Reply to
Michael

Does WRX require premium? If not you are wasting your money. Mixing in a car that does not require premium is OK but premium gives nothing extra except cost. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Yes it does require premium.

Reply to
Michael

USE regular and save a buck. in your manual it will say 93 recommended. No harm will come.

Reply to
jabario

In my '02 VDC H6, premium is recommended, but regular can be used if necessay. I alternate generally every other fill up between mid-grade and premium. I haven't noticed any negative effects. John

PS Good to see another Georgia Suby owner!

Reply to
John A. Mason

Manual says 91 minimum. Go lower and risk pre-detonation (knock). Its your car. Pay now or pay later.

Reply to
Ragnar

Warranty will cover any "damage" . A friends passat turbo requires premium but hasnt had it in 124k miles and the many problems this car had were not fuel related. No manufacturer will produce a car that easy to damage as they will pay warranty claims on a car that fragile. You may lose some performance but thats it .

Reply to
jabario

Not for disregarding manufacturer's specs.

Reply to
CompUser

The ECM will detect any predetonation and retard timing accordingly to prevent it. However, expect power to decline, as well as gas mileage. Not by much, but it will probably be noticeable.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

For WRX: Manual says "engine is designed to operate using premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 AKI or higher."

The ECU will retard timing AFTER it detects knock from detonating lower octane fuel. The two negative aspects to this are a) ECU responds only post-knock event, so damage could already have been done; b) the retarded timing will result in less power ("Gee, the car feels slowwwww"), and less miles per gallon.

Like another poster said, your car, you decide. I don't do it in mine, you can be assured.

Reply to
CompUser

Not so, as cars get more miles on them some tend to build up deposits which can raise the compression ratio and make premium...or at least higher octane than regular... necessary for reliability and performance. Subaru's are notorious for this. TG

Reply to
TG

On a side note: Does anyone know if that injector cleaner stuff they sell at the gas stations work? You know, the stuff in the little red bottle that you add to a tank of gas? I've heard that the Chevron (Tecron?) works but that the rest, especially the 88-cent Wal-Mart special, doesn't... any thoughts, opinions, or online summaries to the subject?

Reply to
Mike

I've been wondering the very same thing..

I do note that when I use those > On a side note: Does anyone know if that injector cleaner stuff they sell

Reply to
Bart

I've had good results with Chevron's Techron additive in my Ford Ranger's

3.0L V6. The spark knock would go away for 5000 miles or so after using it.

Lots of information here:

"Chevron has now been the exclusive supplier of the mileage accumulation durability test gasoline to the three U.S. automobile manufactures for over

28 years."

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

A better link just to the additive:

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Mixing in a

Well, I have a 1998 Forester that just turned 216,000 miles on the odometer, and I am still running 87 octane, as recommended in the manual. I guess it takes longer than that for the "notorious carbon buildup".

I would use whatever grade is specified in the manual. Saving a few pennies on gas at the expense of the engine is false economy. Conversely, using a higher octane than required is throwing money away.

Reply to
George Adams

It does not say "catastrophic failure not covered by warranty will occur if

Reply to
jabario

A few tanks of Chevron Supreme cleared up spark knock and noisy valves in a car I used to drive.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Reply to