Replacement Boxer engine for Outback

Has anyone bought and engine from "ccengines.com" in Denver, Colorado?

If so how was the engine?

They claim to build engines from Subaru parts and offer a 3yr/36,000 mile warrantee on parts and labor with the caveats,

  1. You don't overheat the engine and the temp indicators on the engine aren't tripped.
  2. Change oil every 3000 miles and use a Subaru or Napa Gold Filter AND use Castrol or Valvoline oil. I've used Penzoil for decades and they say it has too much phosphorus and is bad for their aluminum engines.

Comments?

Reply to
Kirby

CCR is well known in the Subaru community. You don't have anything to worry about if you purchase an engine from them.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

Hi,

I'd follow their recommendations, based on personal experience, WRT to the oil filters. For whatever reason I can't fathom, some Subie engines (mine included!) are VERY picky about their oil filters. OEM's always fine, Napa Gold is made by Wix, so w/ either brand one's getting the same filter, and I've never had a complaint about the Wix/Napa Gold oil filter "family."

As for oil, I'd drop Valvoline from the recommendation along w/ Pennzoil. Castrol GTX is the ONLY oil my machine shop buddy recommends in engines he builds. He has a running lunch bet w/ his son, who works for him, that he can spot a Valvoline engine from across the shop. Something about the wear pattern on cam lobes he recognizes. I can't see it, but I've never seen Dad buy lunch yet, either! (A fellow on another forum I frequent who's built a lot of engines backs Dad up--he claims something about anti-scuff properties aren't as good as some others.) Pennzoil's bad for varnish formation in my experience: I don't use it, but have "converted" several Pennzoil engines and am always amazed at how long the "new" oil retains the distinctive "Pennzoil yellow" color (about the same as the container) until the varnish is pretty well dissolved out...

As w/ most things automotive, YMMV, but if CCR specs certain items for warranty coverage, I'm sure they have a good reason! As already mentioned, they DO enjoy a very good reputation in the industry!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright