Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ wins Car of the Year Awards

A couple of local car magazines have announced their Car of the Year 2012 Awards.

The Australian "Wheels" magazine gave their Car of the Year Award jointly to the Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ.

In the "Top Gear New Zealand" magazine, Jeremy Clarkson chose the Toyota

86 as his Car of the year. The magazine also reviewed the newly arrived (here in New Zealand anyway) Subaru BRZ and preferred it slightly more the Toyota 86 - apparently the minor differences in things like suspension set-up mean the Subaru is less "tail happy" on the sharp corners New Zealand back country roads have. They basically said buyers would be happy with either of the near-identical twins, and the choice really only comes to which badge you prefer and the fact that in New Zealand the Sabaru will be more rare due to a smaller number being available here.
Reply to
Your Name

as if rear drive holdens were not enough. good for ya guys

with dual availability comes dual liability : parts for the major components will hopefully be available for a looooong time from both of the heavy, heavy industries.

curious: aside from the hills, do you get snow in summer up there in the flatlands?

Reply to
AD

Holdens (and the "rival" Fords) aren't sports cars. There just horrible heavy muscle cars / family sedans with over-bloated engines in them. :-)

There's never snow in Auckland, New Zealand. There was news reports of winter "snow" here a year or two ago, but it wasn't really snow, just sleet and a bit of dirty ice / hail, most of which melted before it even hit the ground. We do occasionally get real hail that briefly covers the ground like snow though. They do get low-level snow further south during winter though.

Reply to
Your Name

I just googled up Subaru BRZ and looked at their brochure. It's a real treat full of interactive stuff and videos.

Reply to
Frank

I've only got a dial-up connection, otherwise I'd take a look. The Toyota

86 / Subaru BRZ looks like it might be a replacement for my current sports coupe (which is 20 years old next year). :-)
Reply to
Your Name

Dial-up, forget it, even with cable it took a while to download with all the stuff in it.

Living on a hill, I'll never do without AWD. My sporty car was a '69 Camaro which i'd have to park at the bottom of the hill and walk home maybe 2 weeks out of the year. It also had at least 6 accidents due to snow.

My adult sons would probably like the BRZ.

Reply to
Frank

stuff in it.

Was it lack of AWD that caused the accidents ?

Greg

Reply to
gregz

rote:

l the stuff in it.

no doubt it was no shortage of idiots sliding on all season and "performance winter" rubber

I drove through a snow storm on my rwd to work today and even the 2 generations old hakkapeliitta rs (rebranded as nordman rs) had difficulty on the ice under the unpacked to moderately packed snow.

haven't seen any accidents yet but it's hopefully all the morons are snowed in for now and it will take until lunch for them to dig their wheels up

gotta love the cocky suv owners around here, sheesh

Reply to
AD

Just a couple of days back, I helped a neighbour who's friend's Dodge Charger got stuck on *level* ground while trying to turn around just in their driveway. The snow level was well above the bottom his car! Mind you this guy (idiot) had lowered his Charger's ride height a few inches. Perhaps a normal height Charger wouldn't have had so much trouble? How do you live in this city (Ottawa) and not know you can't drive a lowered car almost anywhere at certain times of the year? Although I didn't try it, I'm pretty sure I would've easily been able to turn around in that same driveway with my Subie, no problem.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Having 4" of ground clearance on A4 with sport package is a handicap, but torsen between the axles allows for a bearable winter. I do scrape the snow and ice in parking situations with the skid plates routinely though.

Would not want a mono wheel driver with a low ground clearance anywhere near snow and ice

What was the model of shoes the idiot's car was running

Reply to
AD

I got stuck in a field once in my Forester when I did not realize that the snow had drifted higher than the Forester's ground clearance. Fortunately I had a shovel and removing snow from under car and backing out got me clear.

My neighbor got stuck in his driveway with his 4 wheel drive Explorer when he decided to just drive over the drift in front of his driveway that the snow plow had left.

Reply to
Frank

You'd be amazed how Xi-2 does not stop trying to get you out of that predicament even when you are already (partially) sitting on the belly. Frenchies did a pretty good job to keep up with the Finns

Reply to
AD