Are Dexron and Mercon the same thing?

My vehicle calls for Mercon ATF for the power steering as well as the manual transmission fluid. Can I use Synthetic Dexron in these applications, or Mercon V?

2000 Ford Explorer, 96,000 miles.

Thanks

-J

Reply to
Masospaghetti

Dexron/Mercon is backward compatible, so yes.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

"Dexron" and "Mercon" are sets of specifications, not a fluid per se. It turns out that most Dexron-III automatic transmission fluids can simultaneously meet the Mercon-V spec, so as long as you use a fluid that says "Dexron III/ Mercon V" you will be fine.

Reply to
Steve

Usually that wouldn't be a problem, but:

You might want to check with the dealer on this. There was a BIG glitch with the Mercon V spec and the old Ford Mercon transmissions that made them NOT backwards compatible. Ford was supposed to reissue the specs and formulations to the manufacturers to make sure that the new fluids remained backwards compatible, but that wasn't that long ago and it is possible that some of the stock could still be out there.

Call a dealer and talk to the parts desk to make sure. There was an issue with this with the SuperDuty transmissions that caused some folks to get bitten when they assumed that the old backwards compatibility rule held. Better safe than sorry.

Reply to
mandtprice

Ford recently issued a TSB (TSB 06-14-4) saying that Mecon V could now be used in all Mercon/Mercon V applications (this was a change from the past). This doesn't apply to Mercon SP, the special CVT fluid, or Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid. Transmissions filled from the factory with those fluids must continue to use those fluids.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Yep, and what changed was the fluid/spec, not all the existing transmissions that were covered by the original TSB in 2001. This TSB came out in August, so make sure you aren't using old stock fluid and you should be okay.

Matthew

Reply to
mandtprice

Well, I called the dealer...

...and they told me to use TYPE F. (wtf?)

But I believe my owner's manual + you guys more than one service person. Thanks for the replies.

-J

Reply to
Masospaghetti

Wow, okay so scratch the dealer. Get a bottle from some place that does a lot of volume and you should be fine.

Reply to
mandtprice

Reply to
BSAKing

Why would you want to use a GM fluid in your Ford?

With all the pickieness that those Fords have with even their own (type F) or Mercon fluid, trying to use Dexron or GM fluid seems pretty silly to me.

My Jeep calls for Dexron in the power steering. I would disconnect the belt and just not use it until I got to the proper fluid before I used Ford fluid in it.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Masospaghetti

Many brands are label to meet both Mercon and Dexron specs. Read the can.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Yup, 'compatible with', eh.

I found out really fast that that doesn't hold for transmission fluid for my Jeep. I used a 'compatible with' gear oil and my synchromesh promptly failed requiring at the best a double shift and at the worst a stop to get it into 1st.

I changed to the 'proper' fluid and bingo, my transmission started and has continued to run perfectly.

Mike

Mike Romain

I have been bit by 'compatible with' fluids so now just try to use the correct ones....

Mike

Masospaghetti wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Type F?? HAHAHAHA! There is NO application for Type F that's been built in the last 25 years or so. In fact, Type F is getting hard to find on the retail level, almost as tough as the old Type A.

Call your dealer's owner and complain about this idiot.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Because there's no such thing as a "GM Fluid?" Chrysler used the Type A/Dexron family as far back as GM did, and only stopped in the early 90s.

The Dexron spec is THIS CLOSE >< to the Mercon spec. Its no great trick to meet both, but Ford did have to clarify the spec. As others have said, using a current production (not old stock) Mercon V fluid should be fine.

And remember, the original question was for the power steering- which is a LOT less picky than the transmission would be!

Reply to
Steve

I needed some info on the Motorcraft motor oil and noticed that they have two different ATFs listed on their site:

They have a Mercon V that they say is ONLY for where Mercon V is indicated and a second Mercon Multi-Purpose ATF that is indicated for use everywhere else. See if you can find the Motorcraft Mercon Multi-Purpose and you should be home free.

Matthew

Reply to
mandtprice