Mileage down with new distributor

Had a new distributor and new ignition module put in my Dodge van, V8, to correct a problem I had with stalling and hard starting in hot weather. My mechanic said the distributor was loose, and he showed me the old one and the movement in it. Anyway, replacing those two parts has solved my stalling and starting problems. However, I've noticed my gas mileage is now down, from 13 mpg to 9-10; it's down about 1/3. The engine seems to run smoothly, no missing. Can these two parts affect mileage? Thanks for any suggestions.

GS

Reply to
GarySport

The answer is yes, the distributor could. If the ignition module doesn't have a problem, then it should not. Depending on the year model, the distributor could have 2 timing advance mechanisms: one based on a set of weights that sling out and advance the timing and one based on vacuum levels that also advance timing. A distributor that physically fits can have very different advance curves and would impact performance. It could be the correct distributor but the base timing could be off or vacuum advance not connected to the correct port. This all depends on if your "Dodge van V8" has such a distributor.

Reply to
bobby

Good answer Bobby, the distributors could 2 different advance curves Spring/weight combinations and this can/will cause your problem. Most distributors enjoy ported vacuum (except GM HEI) so doublecheck the vacuum advance line is installed correctly.

Reply to
Mad Dog

Since you say "ignition module" rather than "Computer" I'm assuming this is a pre-Magnum v8, either carbureted or TBI.

Did the mechanic set the base timing back correctly? Is the vacuum advance hooked up? Does the distributor have the correct/same mechanical timing curve as the original?

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Sorry, I'ts a 1984 Van. I took it in today and left it with my mechanic, and he said he'd check the timing again. He said the new distributor was "set to factory specs" when he installed it. But thanks to all of your answers, I can be conversive with him about it. Thanks.

GS

Reply to
GarySport