Right size tyre for 7" deep rim?

Currently I have 17" x 7.5" rims, and 235/45/17 tyres on the rear and 215/45/17 on the front. (I wanted 235 all round, but there was not enough clearance between the tyre and the strut tower on the front).

I am getting rid of those rims for various reasons, and the shop has many more new rims available in the 17" x 7" size. The shop guy said that 235mm tyres on a 7" deep rim was not a good idea and I may have increased tyre wear and reduced traction. What is the optimal tyre size for the 7" rim?

Also, will there be any difference to my front wheels with the 7" rim instead of the 7.5" (same tyre size, 215mm). I have about

1.5 degrees of camber on the front. I imagine the 7" version will stand a little taller ? (greater overall wheel diameter). How will this affect traction and handling?
Reply to
Old Wolf

I would guess "ideal" would be around 215 or 225. You want the tread width to be about the same as the rim width to keep the tire "square." To give you an exact answer you'd need to look at the spec sheet for the exact tires you're considering.

I personally don't see the big deal with 235s on a 7" rim though...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Is this a tire shop? If not I would use one. The tire shops I've done business should be able to match the wheel and tire.

Reply to
John S.

Stock, Jeep puts 225's max on the 7" rims. They have an 8" rim for the

235's or the 31x10.5's that come on some models.

Mike

Mike Romain

This is one location that shows your 7.5" wheel to be in the approved range for a 235/45/17 tire. Many of the tire mfgrs site have this info.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut