Which Lubricant ?

I have been using LPS 3 lubricant for some time now. It has been OK, what I would like to know is, are there better lubricants then LPS 3. If so what are they ?

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

What do you use it for? A rust inhibitor film; a sliding joint lubricant [as on a telescopic handler boom]; or what? No point taking offence as you have with DJS, because he is fundamentally correct in that the lubricants uses are wide and therefore the alternatives will possibly vary according to the application, though possibly not to the extent of replacement by KY :-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

If you need a greaseless lubricant with corrosion protection, especially for cables or chains, none better. But lubricants are made for many purposes, so if you were more specific about what your application is, you would get better answers.

Reply to
Christopher Green

Just bought another can of LPS 3 (at Acklands ) today and the main reason I use it is for the waxy self healing film, wonderful lubricant. I use it on parking brake cables and when I do my brakes coat the back plate with it. It can be used as a general lubricant. It is used for lubrication on aircraft. Denny B

preservative

Reply to
Denny B

This is an excellent general purpose lubricant where temperatures get to minus 35 degrees in Winter.

Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Of course a good mechanic will not have 'a can of every lubricant made". But I am confident that they will have multiple types of lubricants- because there are so many different lubricating jobs to be done on autos (and airplanes) that are best done with the proper lube for the job.

One job that comes to mind is lubricating disk brake caliper sliders. The only proper lubricant for these is Sil-Glyde. Any mechanic that used LPS-3 on this critical part would be showing extreme ignorance.

Reply to
Mark Olson