22re timing chain dilemna

I know this has been discussed many times but what will one more hurt.

92 4runner, bought last fall with 175,ooo miles, has about 185 now. It had a little timing chain noise when I bought it, but it wasnt a big concern to me. My 86 has gone 290K with no trouble. Well recently the 92 starting losing antifreeze, I have noticed some white exhaust smoke at startup and there doesnt appear to be any antifreeze in the oil. So,

this means head gasket, right? or could it be the TC causing this?

would it be absolutely foolish of me to have the HG fixed and not have tht timing chain done at the same time? It will bascially cost me double to have both done, not an expense that I relish right now. But I relish the thought of paying that same amount in 3 months, on top of the HG repair now, if I dont do it all at once. Common sense tells me to bite the bullet nd do it all now, but I just want to make sure.....

Reply to
Joe

But I relish the thought of paying that same amount in 3 months, on top of the HG repair now, if I dont do it all at once

I mean I DONT relish that thought!!

Reply to
Joe

Probably. or could it be the TC causing this?

No.

The TC noise could actually be from the tensioner; you may be able to get away with just a new tensioner if the chain is still in good condition.

Reply to
Ray O

didnt think so. I presume that means yes to headgasket then.

is there any way to know this for sure or do I have to trust the goodwill of my local Toyota Tech? Does that save me any labor?

Reply to
Joe

Unfortnately, the head gasket moves to the top of the suspect list.

The only way to know for sure if you can get away with just a tensioner is to look at the chain. Toyota techs should be familiar with what a loose tensioner sounds like and most dealer service departments are pretty honest. It has been a long time since I've looked at one but IIRC, changing just the tensioner is a little easier (less labor) than the changing the chain. Of course, most people wait until the chain is trashed so then the tensioner and chain need replacement.

Reply to
Ray O

Ok, but what are the odds that I get say, 100,000 more miles of this timing chain before it blows and/or or ruins my engine? trying to figure out if there is any sense at all in just leaving it be. Once they get all the way in to look at it theres no sense in not fixing it, but they cant see it with just the heads off, or can they?

Reply to
Joe

It's been a long time since I looked at a 22RE but the timing chain is not as deep into the engine as the heads. The head and cams have to be installed on the engine before you install the timing chain or belt. There is probably a front cover that is relatively easy to remove to inspect the chain and tensioner.

Reply to
Ray O

I am assuming that engine has overhead cams like every other Toyota, and if so, the timing chain will have to be removed in order to remove the head. So it should be easy to check it for wear. I don't know what a timing chain costs, but it could cost less than the labor to replace it. By doing it along with the head, you save that labor cost.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Well, I had a GOOD night tonight, but my suggestion, if you can affords it: you gotta do the head gasket, while you're there the timing chain is another hour or so, and the water pump about another 20 minutes. if you can afford it, do it now, and then you'llo get your 100,000 (actually, abotu 180,000) miles out of it. If the rest of the truck isd in good shape, do it! have a tech give it a good check first. I changed an engine, and then the exhaust and the fuel lines blew out at the same time. If I had known those systems were bad I would have put my money elsewhere...

Reply to
hachiroku

About $60-75.

Reply to
hachiroku

Thanks for all the replies, but every shop I've talked to so far (3) have quoted me nearly double the head gasket repair price for doing the timing chain as well. If it was only an additional hour or two of labor, I wouldnt have a dilemna. I am getting quotes of roughly 700 for repairing the head gasket and 1200-1500 for head gasket and timing chain, including parts.

Reply to
Joe

Those are Flat Rate shops, which a lot of dealers are. That means EVERYONE pays the same price for whatever repair. You have to remove all the same pieces to change the HG (and MORE) as you do to change the chain and tensioners! You would THINK that since it's all apart already...

but that's what a Flat Rate shop it. You have this job, you pay this. You have that job, you pay that. You have both at once, you pay this AND that.

Try to find a good independant shop that knows Toyotas and have them do it.

Where are you located?

Reply to
hachiroku

I don't know about all Toyota dealers, but I don't think mine works that way. Perhaps this is a case where the dealer is cheaper.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

usually the timing chain guides break and the chain wears a hole in the coolant passage, thus coolant in the oil. If you do the chain, tensioner and guides you should replace the head gasket too. To do the job correctly the head should come off.

Reply to
toyotawiz

I'm in northern MN. Perhaps I should call around and see what people charge for the timing chain only, assuming the heads are going to come off and get a new gasket anyway. I was quite surprised when my local shop quoted quite similar to the Toyota dealer on this...also the same price as the best/only foreign auto shop I know.

Reply to
Joe

This does not compute to me...how's changing the HG going to help if the chain wears a hole in a coolant passage?...come to think of it, how can the TC wear a hole in any coolant passage?...where is it near them? Mind you I might be wrong here (and will certainly admit it if I am)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

The head does not have to come off to change a timing chain, tensioner, and guides.

Of course, the head does have to come off to replace the head gasket.

Reply to
Ray O

OK, well, I don't know about the Toyota 2.4L engine that well, but I DO know thw '89-91 Nissan 2.4L (240SX/Nissan truck) had bad tensioner guides installed at the factory. The guide breaks/wears down and what happens when the chain stretches is it begins to slap/rub against the front of the engine block/head. The more it rubs, the more it wears down the aluminum and allows collant to enter the oil passages and...it's New Engine Time. I am assuming it is the same with the 22RE...

Reply to
hachiroku

we'll there is a coolant passage near the chain guide on the drivers side of the engine. If the chain gets enough slack in it it can rub on this coolant passage. Small amounts of coolant leak into the oil. Keep in mind this doesnt ALWAYS happen but it has happened several times in my experience. When the timing chain and guides are in need of replacement, the head should be removed to replace the gasket so it wont leak oil, since the chain cover is also sealed by the head gasket. Try removing the valve cover, pressurizing the cooling system and look for small coolant leaks. While your in there look for broken chain guides.

Reply to
toyotawiz

How hard is it to repair timing chain/tensioner issues, and what has to come off to see/diagnose the problem visually? if its just a matter of take it apart and put it back like you found it maybe I could do that myself, save 600 bucks, put it back together and drive it 3 miles to the shop to have the head gasket replaced. I know I dont want to mess with taking the heads off, and I may not want to mess with the timing chain either depending on what is involved.

Reply to
Joe