Celica gas tank leak

The gas tank on my 1994 Toyota Celica ST 1.8 L has a leak and the only place I can find a new one is from a Toyota dealer for about $500. Does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket gas tank for a lot less money? I tried all the online gas tank suppliers that advertise on google but no one has Celica tanks.

Thanks, norm

Reply to
norm

Could have one shipped from the UK -Toyota Celica Breakers (TCB) but cost as much as a new one really.

You sure its not just the hose going from the filler tothe tank? Thats a common one.

Coyoteboy

Yeah, what he said! Or, it could be the fuel lines are rusting and leaking. I thought I had a leaky tank, but it turned out the lines were leaking. About $3 of high pressure fuel line solved the problem.

Reply to
Hachiroku

The repair shop said it was the tank so that's what I'm assuming it is. It's leaking by the rear passenger tire and I haven't been able to see exactly where the leak is. The roads have been wet (and thus the underside of the car) for the last week due to the rain and snowmelt. Thanks for the info, maybe I'll take it to Toyota to see what they say.

Reply to
norm

If you can get access to the fuel hoses, try changing them first. If that doesn't do it, check the fuel level sender hole (port in the tank held on by multiple screws) and the fuel filler neck hoses.

You may have to drop the tank and look for holes - if there is one, they make epoxy patch kits, but they can only be considered temporary.

Worst case, you find the tank is bad. Call the local wrecking yards and place an order for a tank, leave your name and number. If they know someone wants a tank, they will be careful not to damage the next good one that comes in - normally as soon as a car hits the yard they punch a hole in the fuel tank to drain the fuel and vent the vapors.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Its either fuel lines or filler neck rusted, or an actual hole in the tank, most likely on the top where dirt (and salt?) collect. Most tanks, even with major rust, can be repaired by the right people: look in your yellow pages. If you have to ship the tank anywhere, the shipping and repair may exceed the $500 for a new one from the dealer.

The biggest problem is getting the tank out without damaging the fuel lines, as the line connectors tend to rust on solid. Older Celicas also often rust out the tank supports. If the fuel lines are rusted or break getting the tank out, your garage or dealer will have to replace bits of the line as needed. You may want to get several quotes.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. It was leaking when the tank was full but now that it's about 1/4 full it does not seem to be leaking anymore. I removed a small panel under the back seat and there was a panel with an electrical connections on the tank that was pretty rusty. It was completely dry but I haven't looked at it with a full tank.

If it ever stops raining/snowing here in New England I'll try pinpointing the leak with the suggestions you made. I'll let you know what I find this weekend.

Thanks, norm

Reply to
norm

Hey! Where you live in New England, Norm?

That's why you're having this trouble. Up here the rear wheel kicks up all that sand and salt and rots out something, and we get leaks. Have you had to replace your muffler yet because of this? Same thing.

It has been Miserable! But at least the last few days were WARM!!! Yesterday, except for the drizzle, was almost a joy!

(Just think if it had been a few degrees colder...)

Reply to
Supraman

I live in Massachusetts. I have not replaced the muffler yet but I think a hanger rotted off because it rattles when I go over a bump. That's probably the next thing to go. It's hard to justify a $700-800 repair bill on a 12 year old car but that's what the sales tax is on a $16,000 new car.

Yeah, the weather's been dreary lately although it was nice to see 60 degrees this late in the year. I'm waiting for the snow now, itching to get the snowmobile out.

Reply to
norm

I live in the Northampton/Amherst area.

And I am *not* a Liberal!! Talk about Tough Times!!! ;)

And it has been dank and dreary, but WARM! Today was a beautiful, sunny day but not exactly light-jacket weather!

And I put a 'new' engine in a 20 year old car! Dude, it's a Toyota. If the rest of the car is decent, and you can get away with $1000 or so for 5 years of driving, you're ahead of the game, esp if you like the car.

I'm thinking about putting $3-4500 into my '85 Corolla GTS. It is basically solid and I probably will get 5 more years out of it.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I figured you weren't a liberal because then you'd be hanging around the Volvo newsgroups ;-)

The car's been good and I haven't put a dime into it other than oil, filters and wipers in the 40K miles since I bought it (103K now). Hopefully the snow will hold off for a few more days.

Reply to
norm

I work in Brattleboro and at 6PM it was snowing pretty hard, but when I got home...nothing!

Reply to
The Merry Little Troll