Need help removing speaker grills?

I plan on replacing my 6 1/2 factory speakers in the rear of my 96 corolla. But I can't get the protective grills that cover the actual speakers off. Am I supposed to do it from inside the car or through the trunk? And what sort of tools can pry these things off?

Reply to
henree64

If your Corolla is like my Camry, in order to get to the rear speakers you must remove the rear deck. The rear deck is removed by taking out the rear seats and rear seat side bolsters. Start with the bottom cushion, drop down the rear seat backs, remove side bolsters, remove rear deck and Voila!, there it is!

Reply to
badgolferman

I just took a look at my car and you are right. The rear seat has bolts that firmly anchor the back seat in 3 places to the speaker shelf. How do I release these bolts? I am not sure where and what "Side Bolsters" are? A detailed explanation of this process is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
henree64

Stick your hand down between the seat back and the seat cushion. Pull the bottom seat cushion up and out. Release the latches and drop the seat backs down. There will remain the left and right side bolster cushions. You should be able to find the bolts that hold them in - I think there is one on bottom and two on top. Afterwards the clips or bolts that hold the rear deck in place will become visible. The speakers will be underneath the deck and are held in with 3 or 4 screws.

I had to solder the wires and make new holes for the replacement speakers with a right angle drill, but I have access to many different power tools. Your replacement speakers will probably have adjustable clips and an adapter for the connector. It's really not as difficult as it may seem. If I could do it, so could you.

Reply to
badgolferman

To remove the bolts, place a wrench (spanner in the U.K.), probably 10 or 12 mm. on the head of the bolt and twist counter-clockwise until the bolt is completely out of the threaded hole. To replace the bolts, start by placing the shank of the bolt in the threaded hole and twist in clockwise with you fingers until the threaded shank is started in the hole, then tighten with the wrench (spanner) that you used to remove the bolt. After all three bolts are removed, grasp the seat back, lift, and maneuver it out of one of the side doors. From the trunk, unplug the speakers from the wires leading to the speakers. The leading edge of the rear shelf should be visible from the back seat area. Slide the shelf towards the front of the car until it is completely free.

Some seats have a vertical extension on the seat back to support your sides. I don't think the Corolla has side bolsters.

Reply to
Ray O

Jesus!...why don't you just hold onto the speakers and remove the car?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Thanks Ray!!!

So THAT'S What I've been doing wrong all these years!!! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

When the OP asked how to remove a bolt, I figured "righty tighty, lefty loosey" was an oversimplified explanation!

Reply to
Ray O

ROFL!!!

Reply to