Yaris?

I was just fantasizing and playing around with the mileage slider at the Toyota site and came up with 2 choices for 35+ MPG, of course the Prius and the Yaris.

Never heard of that one, is it a new model?

Not a hybrid? But still gets 35 MPG?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

It is a smaller car that has been sold in Europe and Asia for a few years. Here it is an Echo replacement, but it was built concurrent with the Echo for a few years.

They have a sedan and a hatchback. It is basically a Tercel with a smaller body.

I think the sedan is OK, the hatch is a little quirky looking, but I like quirky looking Jap cars. It is also made in Japan, which is a plus for me.

Depending on driving habits, you may get more MPG.

Reply to
hachiroku

Did your grandfather call the Japanese "Japs"? It is, and has always been, a pejorative, and offensive.

Reply to
mack

I own one. I like it. Even though I am 6'2, I manage to fit into it. I wish the steering wheel was telescopic, but it is a fine car and gets you great mileage. The Prius is twice the cost, but is also a worthy vehicle if you can afford it.

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

The hatchback is quirky looking. For hatchbacks I would prefer the "fit." The sedan looks like a normal car. Maybe rivals that of the focus but with better mileage...

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

OK.

Reply to
Hachiroku

The Yaris is like a Honda Fit. It has been around about 1 or 2.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Semi-new model - supplanted the Echo, I think - which supplanted the Tercel, IIRC (although may've been yet another model in-between there someplace). Not a hybrid, but a small car, & gets good mpg.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I've been digging a little more on the web, and it looks like nothing really beats a Prius.

That "Smart Car" looked like it was sized down to where it could get really good mileage but I read a review saying not so, and it aint so hot either. Like a smaller car that doesn't get much better MPG, and doesn't seem to do other things well either.

It's just that I might be able to afford $13k but not double that for a Prius.

AND I was looking at a Consumer Reports bubble chart in the store that appeared to be saying that the Prius gets its lowest rating for safety? Is that so?

It's just that these gas prices are killing us, even with the 25 MPG that the DX wagon gets.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Both of which are imported and do not have a single NA apart, let alone a part made in the US. ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

How come?

Sounds like just an abbreviation for Japan.

Why do people get offended by everything nowdays?

I heard that "negro" is offensive, yet they have the "United Negro College Fund" and "negro" only means "black" in latin. Yet we can call people "black people", so why is "negro" offensive.

Why do people get offended by everything nowdays?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

I did a little web search and found:

Doesn't sound so hot, though the price is attractive.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Reply to
Mike hunt

What are "a relative few dollars?" What is "a few dollars?" $20 a week ($1000 per year)? That sounds like more than a few to me. Maybe we all didn't get rich by predatory dealer practices.

Is one just saving money? And, isn't the price of the Yaris less than say a Ford F150? Please provide evidence that these vehicles are less safe than other vehicles.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

So make up for the fact by selling more products and services to Japan rather than by whining.

Reply to
rantonrave

"Both of which are imported and do not have a single NA apart, let alone a part made in the US. =A0 ;)"

--------------------------

And that alone would be a GREAT reason to buy either...

Also, the corolla gets as good mileage as the yaris, yet it's roomier with more available options.. Yaris is about 3 k less than corolla.

Yes, the Prius is not a very safe car.. And not a proven technology...I'd stay away ...that is, if the price doesn't keep you away.... CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Reviews usually mean squat. As always, it is an economy car. In other words, you get what you pay for. With that said, that's why you test drive it first. I personally appreciate the gas savings.

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

We do that with the Ford Escape Hybrid. The Yaris is a get to work vehicle... save money doing so, so forth... etc

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

Mike thinks upsizing is the only way to go... One day we will all be cruising cruise ships so we can keep our family safe... even though it will be like bumper cars/boats... Though the truth is that safety is not what crosses Mike's mind. Mike has been programed by a partisan faction to believe that SUV's are great and oil consumption is endless...

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

Don't be drawn into the idea that bigger is better unless its your boyfriend, Sarah. We, as a nation, need to downsize.

We need to make sure folks like Mike are not scared by all the big vehicles on the road, because there will ultimately be fewer.

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!