05 Camry sqeaky driver's window and shifter trim fixed

I have been known to whine about the sqeaks and rattles in my Wisconsn 05 Camry 19k miles, but am gradually getting them fixed. Here's what I've encountered so far and I hope it can help other sufferers.

  1. Noisy rattle over any rough surface sounded like it was coming from the dash, very annoying. Found it to be the chrome trim piece at the bottom of the automatic shifter. I could stop the rattle just by touching it. It was loose. US assembled, was not fastened correctly. I could swear this was the same rattle my 2001 Camry and 99 Corolla had which both had the same chrome trim piece and I could never figure out the source. I let the dealer fix it, which they did, but also put a nice scractch in the underside of the shift indicator bezel. They now have one on order and are going to replace it NC without argument. Hope this helps others who might have this mystery rattle.

  1. My drivers window sqeaked terribly over bumps, especially in cold weather, (less than 30F). I took it to the dealer twice and they could not fix it. It did it since about 3k miles and continued to get worse. I finally talked to a detailer and bought some pro window cleaner and Mcquires vinyl & plastic cleaner and cleaned all the seals and window. No squeaks now. Apparently dirt accumulates in the seals in such a way that the window squeaks. Never had this before and I clean my cars better than average I would guess.

Reb

Reply to
Roadrunner NG

I thought the Avalon was the rattle box. But then again all the good workers got promoted to the Lexus division. ;)

Reply to
johngdole