2009 Camry: Road and wind noise

Just traded in a 1997 Camry (4Cyl LE) towards a leased 2009 Camry (4Cyl LE). I drive 52 miles a day on the highway and find the road and wind noise of the 2009 to be something awful compared to the 1997. The

1997 had gone 157,000 miles with el cheapo Goodyear Integritys and the 2009 has Michelin something or the other. Maybe the tire difference can account for the road noise but wind noise and general acoustic isolation has taken a nose dive over the years IMO. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Reply to
oparr

Take a look at the rubber door seals. See if they're loose, coming apart, etc.

We had wind noise in our (new) '96 Camry just after my dad bought it. The Toyota dealership couldn't figure it out (can you believe that). After dad gave me the car in 2001, I discovered a long tear in the door seals. I stuffed the rubber seals with paper towels, and the wind noise is now gone.

Hopefully if you bring the door seals to the attention of the dealership they can do something about it (under warranty). Not sure how competent your Toyota dealership is though.

Best wishes

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Toyota has cheapened the door and window sealing, as well as the noise insulation over the years.

The 2009 Camry costs no more than the 1997 Camry, yet it has a lot more features as standard equipment. They saved money in other ways.

Reply to
SMS

Have a 2008 Avalon and get a lot of wind noise too. It's not the tires, almost get the impression that it's coming from the big mirrors. MLD

Reply to
MLD

When you transiti>

Reply to
oparr

The competiti>

Reply to
oparr

On a frige to test a door seal a dollar bill or paper can be used to see if it can be pulled out with the door closed, Use paper to see if you can find where it wont seal, maybe the doors had damage or never were pulled in tight to the lock, it can be adjusted to close tighter at the lock

Reply to
ransley

Yes, got the same tip from the Edmunds Toyota forum. Will do the paper test and check the seals as Michael also suggested later today. Thanks!

Reply to
oparr

Hardware stores sell foam strip, self stick Open cell foam insulation in various widths and thicknesses, Closed cell foam doesn compress much, Open cell does. its cheap and quick to add more

Reply to
ransley

Reply to
Fat Moe

Tried that (as well as the paper test on windows/doors) and it makes no difference....Why?....Because, believe it or not it's the POS tires....Michelin MXV4 S8....Never seen such mixed reviews in my life. Don't care how much they cost or how good people say they are, those on my car are crap.

As I approach 30 MPH on just about any road surface, it sounds like someone starts a loud fan. Sounds like wind noise but it isn't, it's the tires. Opening a window and hearing the reflection from walls, parked cars etc. confirms it's the tires. Above 50 MPH the sound becomes an almost deafening roar compared to previous Camry. Going back to the dealer on this. Thanks all.

Reply to
oparr

I came to this site specifically to find answers for the noise from my 07 XLE V6. I purchased as Toyota Certified from a dealer about two weeks ago. I have Bridgestone Turanza El400s on this car. At 50 - 60 MPH it's uncomfortably loud. I read in Edmund's review that this is a known issue for the new Camry. I was thinking about changing the tires but it looks like it's universal. I'm coming out of a 97 XLE V6 that was as quite as a mouse on the highway. What a disappointment.

Tried that (as well as the paper test on windows/doors) and it makes no difference....Why?....Because, believe it or not it's the POS tires....Michelin MXV4 S8....Never seen such mixed reviews in my life. Don't care how much they cost or how good people say they are, those on my car are crap.

As I approach 30 MPH on just about any road surface, it sounds like someone starts a loud fan. Sounds like wind noise but it isn't, it's the tires. Opening a window and hearing the reflection from walls, parked cars etc. confirms it's the tires. Above 50 MPH the sound becomes an almost deafening roar compared to previous Camry. Going back to the dealer on this. Thanks all.

Reply to
Tom's Mail

Reply to
johngdole

Not certain which review you're referring to but in the review below it implies that the Camry was quieter than the Accord on the freeway;

I can only speak about mine and it's no where as quiet as my last Camry. It could be a QC issue with it and the tires or this class of car has gotten noisier.

Took it to the dealer the other even>

Reply to
oparr

Good, GM needs the bus>

Reply to
oparr

Our 2008 hybrid Camry is so free from wind and road noise that you can clearly here all the rattles.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
johngdole

I can't wait for mine to start rattling. Hopefully, that'll mask the wind, road and engine noises.

Reply to
oparr

I also had a 1997 camry and now own a 2009!! I actually am thinking of trad ing it to something completely different. I can not stand the road noise. T he tires were junk, and I have had to put several sets on the car to keep i t evenly remotely driving well in weather. I had drivers side door window r ecall for motor and they did a crap job of putting rubbers back on and the handle covering is falling off. I am not impressed with the NEW camry at al l.

Reply to
nicholelandry.nl

Reply to
debschreyer