94 camry antenna problem

Hello all, I bought a new antenna (power) mast for my 94 camry (V6 LE). I was able to replace the old antenna with the newer one. However, the quality of reception has not improved greatly. During winter, I only get a hissing sound. When the weather outside is sunny/bright I get a good reception. My question is, how (and where) exactly does the antenna mast make a connection to the radio antenna? The antenna mast I bought had 3 strips on it at the end which is burried inside the car. Do I need to flex those open in order to get a better reception? Is there anything in the car stereo that needs to be checked? Can someone help me with this problem, please?

Thanks, VS

Reply to
VS

Does anyone want to comment on my question? PLease? TIA VS

Reply to
VS

I'll not comment on it just yet, but I will ask A question or two.

Did your reception go bad *only * at the damage or replacement?...............Was the old mast damaged somehow?

these questions are so I might be able to understand some things about the replacement.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

My question is, how (and where) exactly does the

You need to remove the carpeted trim inside the trunk. Antenna line connects near the electric motor that drives the mast.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

No the reception was bad since I bought the car....the antenna mast was broken since. I bought a new antenna mast and replace the old broken one thinking the newer one might improve the reception quality. However, that has not happened. Any suggestions are welcome. TIA VS

you don't, it's its.

likewise yours

Reply to
VS

Well, That didn't help a lot, but it does open a door or two. The other post should be one of the things to check, antenna cable to antenna in trunk area, behind carpeting.

another question to ask also. Is the radio a Factory installed radio or is it aftermarket?????

the reason to ask the new question is, the factory radios in many of the Toyota cars around that time frame, were using a dual antenna system or what some may know as Diversity antenna.............this is not suggesting that it is ok with all races, nationalities and religions, but the radio (if factory ) could have two antenna connections in the back of it. If one is not plugged in, it can seriously impair reception or even eliminate it, if the chosen antenna connector is a damaged one. You're gonna have to do some research if the radio is factory stuff, to determine antenna system.

Good luck.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

you don't, it's its.

likewise yours

Reply to
VS

If you know how to check, check for continuity in the antenna cable from the tip, to the outside portion of the connector, behind radio, whioe it is disconnected. If it has two antenna connectors, check both. If all your cables are connected at the radio, and the antenna ( trunk mount, and you stilll have little or no reception, it's a Tuner issue....................if you've taken it out already, you can call around and find a place that'll look at the radio for you, or start bidding on eBay......................( typically AM is pretty easy to repair, if that's all that's wrong, and shouldn;t cost an arm and a a leg.................however it may cost more than a used radio on eBay.