Engine stalling immediately after starting, only when warm

My 2000 Toyota Camry keeps stalling immediately after I start it. The weird part is that it doesn?t always happen. It only happens after the car has previously been running (warm, not hot). If it?s been sitting several hours it fires right up and runs just fine.

For example:

1) I start car, drive, no problems. 2) I stop at the store for 20-30 minutes. 3) I start the car and it stalls almost as soon as it starts.

To keep it running, I need to step on the brake while giving the car gas and then slip it from park into gear. Once I get it going, it seems OK. No stalling at stop lights, etc.

I read something about a bad DME relay causing similar problems. Any idea what a reasonable cost is for the purchase and installation of a DME relay?

Any ideas about what else the problem could be?

Reply to
melissa1959

For maximum TN member exposure to your question, suggest posting in the Camry Section, Generation 3 and 4. What does DME stand for again?

Reply to
toyomoho

Having to give it gas is a hint. Sounds like the idle air control valve is sticking. Can be cleaned relatively easily. It might not stall but you'll have lower than normal RPM usually.

Do a search on Camry IAC cleaning.

melissa1959 wrote:

johngdole