Mileage for 2000 XLE V6

Can someone with a 2000 XLE V6 model provide your average mileage figure in the winter time (cold weather)? I am doing mostly short trip city driving and it looks pretty bad, even though I have done all the required tune-up myself.

Thanks.

Reply to
aiuser

Short trip winter driving in cold weather is the worse mileage scenario with everything very cold and stopping and starting. What did you tuneup? Air filter and Spark Plugs are pretty much a tuneup. What oil do you use? A 5w-30 would probably help. Maybe a sythetic or sythetic blend. How about the tires, have you checked them since it got cold, they could be several pounds low. Got a lot of junk in the trunk? remove it. Good time to check the spare tire pressure too. How is performance? Maybe dirty injectors. The V6s want premium fuel for best performance and mileage.

Reply to
Rob

How many miles per gallon do you get? If you're in Canada, it will be Kms per litre?

About 7 kms per litre would be expected in those conditions.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I have a 4 which can go in summer from 27-28mpg to 20-21 in 10f city driving, its tuned with 5-30 mobil1, probably the winter Oxygenated gas is what hurts most. So poor milage is common.

Reply to
m Ransley

I have changed motor oil (5w30 Castrol GTX), transmission oil, spark plugs, air filter, pcv valve, all recently and at the proper interval. The tire pressure is adjusted 2 weeks ago. Pretty much empty in the trunk. But have not clean the injectors. I am getting 7 km/litre. Any suggestions what to use and how to clean the injectors.

Thanks.

Reply to
aiuser

Injectors dont often go bad if they do you will notice rough running, there are pour in cleaners you buy at an auto store. They inject gas and would only lean the motor if dirty, actualy giving a bit better mpg but causing a lean hot run and yes loss of power, i dought its injectors. My winter mix gas is poor for EPA reasons, everyone get worse mpg here in winter. Did you check timing ive had mine off where it affected milage by 4 mpg or ap 7 kpg. have you had it on a lift, Ive had dragging brakes. have you had it on a scope, checked emmissions or O2 sensor. Is thermostat good.

Reply to
m Ransley

winter driving for a 4 mostly city should be 22- 24. for the 6 ------18 to 21

Reply to
Dave Dave

What kind of timing were you talking about? I thought it is electronic controlled, so no mechanical timing needs to be adjusted. All brake pads were replaced and rotors cleaned 2 months ago, so shouldn't have any drag. Engine warm up relatively fast, so I guess thermostat is working. How do you check emission and O2 sensor?

Reply to
aiuser

Engine timing adjusted at the distributor, All motors need the mechanical set point. Belts stretch, mine was off 3-4 degrees I got apx

4 mpg less. Electronics only follow what they have, they dont adjust to optimal if mechanical is off.
Reply to
m Ransley

I forgot to mention one of my rear brakes drag, the auto setter over tightens. Alot of little things affect mpg

Reply to
m Ransley

Partly true,...the ignition timing is adjusted by bridging a test-socket pins (for details get a Haynes manual,..you'll need it to do things properly). While in this test mode, the timing is adjusted by turning the distributor to achieve a timing point against the crank-pulley and idicator. Once this is set, the electronics change the timing to suit.

In some cars, they have a crank-angle sensor which means the car's ECU will time the ignition itself. This is not the case with the Camry,..you need to set it first by hand.

All brake

7kms per litre for a V6 in traffic is not bad.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thanks for everybody's reply. I guess 7kms/liter looks to be normal in my conditions.

Reply to
aiuser