New Battery - Alternator is fine - Car Wont start - 97 Camry

I have a 97 Camry. I recently replaced my very old battery and the car started right up. I drove for about 20 minutes and was at the store for 90 minutes. When I returned the car wouldnt start! I got jumped and drove it home. I figured I might have an Alternator problem so I left the car running for about 45 minutes and the car didnt die. I checked my battery connection and everything is tight. A day later I had it jumped again, but this time the engine didnt start as fast as it usually does, it clicked for about 5 seconds before starting. I took the car for a 30 minute drive on the highway, I came home, shut the engine off, waited 10 seconds and the car failed to re-start. The Battery connection is tight and I still have plenty of Juice and I dont think its the Alternator. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
cdjedi48

Many places (Advance Auto) can check the alternator while it still in the vehicle - sure sounds like alternator or dead cell in new battery.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Wolfgang

"cdjedi48" wrote: > I have a 97 Camry. I recently replaced my very old battery and > the car started right up. I drove for about 20 minutes and was > at the store for 90 minutes. When I returned the car wouldnt > start! > I got jumped and drove it home. I figured I might have an > Alternator problem so I left the car running for about 45 > minutes and the car didnt die. I checked my battery connection > and everything is tight. A day later I had it jumped again, > but this time the engine didnt start as fast as it usually > does, it clicked for about 5 seconds before starting. > I took the car for a 30 minute drive on the highway, I came > home, shut the engine off, waited 10 seconds and the car > failed to re-start. > The Battery connection is tight and I still have plenty of > Juice and I dont think its the Alternator. > Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Sorry, sounds like an alternator to me. I am assuming the voltage regulator is built in.

Reply to
Fourmiler

I'm thinking you have worn starter brushes. Next time it happens have someone hold the key in the start position and tap the starter with a hammer. You can try this yourself without turning the key but with a lesser chance of working. Because you say it still has plenty of juice, I'm assuming you tried the headlights when the car failed to start and they appeared bright. Is this correct?

Reply to
tomcas

"Fourmiler" wrote: > Sorry, sounds like an alternator to me. I am assuming the > voltage regulator is built in.

How would I go about seeing if its the alternator then? The battery still has juice I can run the headlights and wipers, Thanks.

Reply to
cdjedi48

Put a volt meter on the battery terminals, then start the car. The voltage should go up if the alternator is working.

Reply to
IBNFSHN

Check your starter, it is most likely the problem from what you describe.

Reply to
5Sfte