Oil Pan Gasket Question 96 Camry!!!

Can anyone give me step by step instructions in changing the oil pan gasket on a 96 Toyota Camry 4cyl. I have the gasket, but am concerned that it's just not as easy as loosening the bolts and dropping the pan. Thanks!

Reply to
Chriss

If you are going to do a job like this, and you are unsure, it's time to buy a manual for the car.

Basically the manual says the following:

-raise front of vehicle

-drain the oil

- remove the righthand engine splash-guard

-remove the exhaust engine pipe. This is the pipe that connects to the manifold and runs under the sump.

-remove the support bracket from the transaxle end of the engine block

then remove the pan, making sure you clear the oil-pump pickup when actually lowering the pan.

Some steps maybe avoided if you are prepared to put up with more difficulty accessing the part you are removing, but this decision is usually made as you go.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Here's another idea, that has been suggested before, may or may not work for you, but seems to have worked OK for me so far. Gently snug down the oil pan bolts little by little in several passes. Use minimal pressure. Hold the ratchet handle near the head, don't over tighten.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I thought the Camry's used a mould in place gasket? Ya buy a tube of specual RTV silicon and it is formed in place -- vice a cork/rubber gasket?

Reply to
Wolfgang

Removing the exhaust engine pipe may not be completely straight forward. The nuts will probably be seized on the studs and need to be loosened. Penetrene for a few days will make it easier.

Reply to
John